1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Somebody Stop Me! (from buying CT200h)

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by ggood, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, someone PLEASE STOP ME! At the risk of facing ridicule and rebuke, I can't seem to shake the desire to buy or lease the Lexus CT200h. I took a test drive, just to see if the ride was any better. I was expecting it to be too low and not enough difference to be worth switching. Instead, I fell into a deep, deep love for the ride and the seats. See my review here: http://priuschat.com/forums/lexus-h...essions-production-vehicle-3.html#post1288101.

This makes no economic sense at all. I only have a couple of years and 12,000 miles on my fully paid for Prius V with AT. If I option the CT200h out to get everything my Prius has, the cost is over $39,000, and they are unlikely to budge on price, given the newness and low supply. Based on kbb.com, I can't expect to get more than $25K to $27K for my Prius. Of course, I did have use of the car for a couple of years, so $5-7K depreciation doesn't seem that bad. But I'd be trading UP(?) to a smaller car, with LESS mpgs!

It also makes no sense from a future proof point of view. Given my low miles, mostly in town short trip driving, and all the electric and plug-in options coming down the pike, why would any sane person spend big bucks to get what is now relatively old technology? Of course, I'm not really sold on electric cars being ready for prime time, and the plug-ins are likely to be pricey and in low supply, and I haven't yet heard of any luxury plug ins coming along...

BUT, I really, really enjoyed that test drive. Even my wife really appreciated not being jarred and thrown around like she does in the Prius. So now I have to go take another, longer test drive, to try to get it out of my system. If I can't, I'll have to decide whether to lease or buy, and whether to go low end or whole hog. Low end, at $31K, makes it much more palatable, but I'd be giving up radar cruise, PCS, LED headlights, Nav and the Nav screen conveniences and extras.

Oddly, Gulf States is using different package configurations than other regions, with resulting lower prices at both the low and high end. However, they are not bringing in any with LEDs, so I might have to go out of region if I decide to go whole hog. If I'm honest, I don't really need the extras, but I really like playing with my toys, so I'd probably miss them. Oh, and if you want any extras at all, like heated seats, you have to take the moonroof, which I don't really want.

Finally, both national and local configurations list the radar cruise/PCS as a $1,500 option, which is well worth it. However, I'll have to find out whether it is actually available for any level package or special order, or only on the pre-built high option packages. If anyone knows, please let me know.

So, there you have it. I welcome any and all straight-laced abusers to talk me down, along with any and all hedonistic enablers that want to tell me life is short, just go for it!

2. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

:pop2:

Talk you out of it... hell Bra... I want one too... :D

3. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, if you can swing it, why not? The reason I want one is to improve the ride over the Prius. My style of driving would preserve a good bit of the mpg (long slow commutes).

Lexus is advertising this as a sort of upscale Scion tC around here (guy drives all over an obstacle course and through an Escher landscape that makes you toss your cookies) but I knew the ride would be better for my old posterior and sensibilities.

If I didn't have a wedding to pay for in a few months I'd be all over one of these like a cheap suit (despite the weird color choices).

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure...that'll work...I mean going to the dealership and driving the automobile you admit to falling in love with, is always the best path to NOT buying it...You'll be surrounded with so many helpful salesmen that will aid you in your quest to keep your Prius.

Really? It sounds hopeless. Last time I saw a fish so hooked, it was clinging onto the side of The Nautilus and Captain Nemo was trying to electrocute it...

If you are at all serious about NOT doing this? Then the first step is to stop thinking about it.

With gas prices on the rise, Prius supply dwindling...if I was at all serious I would wait and sell my Prius private party...in a few months you might be able to get a premium.

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just notice little things like the iPod holder, USB plug, on the center console.
    The steering wheel.
    Riding over cracks in the road.
    Being able to play the radio lound, with BASS > 0, w/o any annoying rattles.

Oh, and 42MPG is definitely "good enough".

6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Go with your heart.
    I am about to do the same

7. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Haha, nobody can stop you but yourself. As of most material things, only money is the real issue. Are you willing to spend money for the thing you "WANT", not "NEED" as in your case?

If yes, then go ahead. If no, then stop looking/lusting after the Lexus, and enjoy your "not-so-bad" Prius.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are paying cash and your retirement income is secure then by all means buy the car.
    Aren't you exaggerating just a little, teeny tiny bit ?
    Something tells me you and/or your wife would not like my 2004 Prius. That's ok, it is not for sale.

9. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw my first live one here the other day. The plates said Lexus of San Marin. It was a family on vacation. I didn't really think much about them until I saw that one. It was sweet!

10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I can tell all of you that are getting a CT you all officially ..... Suck!

:pout:

'cause I can't have one yet. :frusty:

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not much. Actually I had a 2004 Prius and traded up to the 2007 Hycam due to the long highway trips my wife was making at the time. The 2004 Prius just wore us out on long trips. Luckily, Prius had a high resale value at the time.

The low profile tires and the V steering assembly on my 2010 Prius make handling 1000% better, but at the cost of some rather jarring moments if you happen to hit a pothole etc., and just some general busy-ness the rest of the time (crappy city streets here). The CT200h pretty much completely mutes that busy-ness, although it's still a firm, planted ride. Also, the low center of gravity and the side bolstering of the seats somehow keeps you planted in your seat much better.

Of course the no. 1 reason to get the CT, if you have a wife of a certain age, is because of the dual zone AC!

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ahh .. *that* problem.

Definitely trade her in. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I say go for it ggood! CT200h is a great car.

This goes for everyone else; I'm sick of hearing how the Prius doesn't have good handling, etc. Lower it on springs/coils. Add a strut tower brace. Add a sway bar. And then add a stiffening plate and be done with it. Don't tell me you can't get a nice firm, planted Prius with a firm center of gravity. Cause if you say that, you're not trying hard enough. Class dismissed.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You're talking about the car, right? :rolleyes:

15. luchinis

luchinis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Wow...last time i was so excited about a car i drove a Ferrari Testarossa in Italy!
    The prius isn't that different from the ct200h at least not that different.
    i would not buy it.

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is a tad absurd to get excited about what is basically a really expensive econobox, especially when you consider some of the really nice less environment friendly cars available for the same or lower price. Maybe I'm just bored with hybrids and should trade for a Mini Countryman or IS350 instead!

17. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is way different. Drive both.:)

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just be careful you don't convince yourself that you must have things that you don't really need to have.

For instance, having my 2009 Prius with navigation and backup camera, I convinced myself that to get the 3rd gen Prius, navigation with backup camera would be a must.

Truth is, backup camera is really not a must have item at all. Sometimes backup camera is nice to have like backup up to a wall, but that is rare.

Obviously you are drawn in by the sportier styling of the CT. If it nags you for quite a while, you'll either have to get over it, but if you can't, then you'll need to scratch the itch (buy your CT).

If there was a CT like full hybrid that was somewhat larger, that would be sweet.

I'm happy with my Accord Coupe mainly because it is really nice to drive, I don't spend too much on gas, and it's a good looking car. Don't ya think ..

050705 183s.JPG

19. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was just checking available packages and options again. There has suddenly been a drastic reduction of available packages in the 3 regions I checked. The earthquake is obviously having an effect. May not be the best time to buy.

20. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    How much passengers' space did you earn trading in your 2009 Prius with Accord Coupe?

Giora.