1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone ask you what's your MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ServoScanMan, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When people ask me what my MPG is I tell them I get a combined 55mpg. I have been getting slightly better but I know they won't belive it. Especially if one of them ends up buying a Prius.

So, what do you tell your friends or co-workers when they ask you - What's your mileage?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I keep an updated copy of my spreadsheet in my glovebox. At work, I pull it up on my computer.

There's no doubting facts and the spreadsheet represents almost 2 years of hard cold facts. In fact, usually when someone doubts my mileage they add that their car gets really good mileage so I ask to see their proof. They shut up at that point. ;)

Click the link in my signature for the web version.
    Click this link for the spreadsheet itself: http://www.geocities.com/tonypschaefer/Priapus/All.xls

3. miwaku

miwaku New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jul 24 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]291371[/snapback]</div>
    I always say, "I'm getting XXmpg right now, but my average is 45." True, that doesn't say it all, but that one statement will prompt questions and you'll be able to tell them more about it.

4. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jul 24 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]291371[/snapback]</div>
    I say I average around 51 but that it depends a lot on how I drive (short trips, weather, etc.). I try not to overinflate their expectation should they decide to buy one (not that 51 is too shabby :) ).

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 24 2006, 06:39 AM) [snapback]291375[/snapback]</div>
    I keep a current copy of the spreadsheet in the vehicle. When a question arises I pull the spreadsheet and give the person a copy. I point out the extremes (highs (62.5) and lows (45)) and the cumulative mean (just over 50 mpg). People can see what I spend per tank and cumulative.

I had one woman exclaim, "Oh, I can't believe this!" I asked what would be the point of carrying false information about the vehicle. No answer. When I mentioned the next Camry would have a hybrid option, she brightened up, spoke positively about the Prius and stated she is looking forward to the 2007 Camry.

6. PatapscoPete

PatapscoPete New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 24 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]291406[/snapback]</div>
    That Temp vs. MPG correlation is impressive. I heard the temp and mpg were closely correlated, but couldn't believe it was that tight (pictures worth thousand words and all that)

Thanks

7. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 24 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]291375[/snapback]</div>
    I like the graph of Temp VS MPG. I never thought about keeping a spreadsheet in my car like you guys do. If fact, I don't even have a spreadsheet of my mileage. I wish I would have started now. My first tank was 45mpg and I was a little disappointed. This website - actually the great people on this website - helped me learn how to properly drive this car. Thank you, thank you , thank you :) :) :)

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I take my overall mpg on my website and round down to the nearest whole number. It sounds too freaky to say 52.29 when asked although I typically would know this number.

I'd just say a little better than 52mpg over about 18,000 miles. Sometimes it's a bit more, not very often it may be less, but I track it on my web page because I bought the car to get good mpg, so I monitor it to see if it is.

http://d.spicher.home.comcast.net/prius/LifetimeStats.html

Usually, people are genuinely impressed when they know I'm dead serious about getting 52+. After you are getting it for a while, you lose sight of what it's like for everyone out there to be getting 16, or even 28, and how expensive that has become for them. "Is that right?....... Holy Cow..." is a recent response..

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At hybridfest, I had 11x17" printouts of the spreadsheet and the chart. People were astounded by the correlation of temp vs. mileage. I even had one guy ask if it was my fault and just bad performance on my part. I was almost offended. :)

Here in Chicago (from Gary, IN to Milwaukee, WI in fact) we use "reformulated gasoline" also known as "winter fuel" that contains antifreeze components and other stuff. This fuel has a lower energy potential and therefore doesn't move the car as well as pure gasoline. This means that you have to burn more to move the same distance and thus, you record worse mileage. Additionally, since the ICE cools faster in 5ºF temps, it will cycle on more to maintain optimal operating temps.

Both of those factors conspire to ruin our mileage and for those Wisconsinites visiting Hybridfest, it was the perfect explination of reality and they were sold. No one questioned the validity of my data because I could show them really good tanks in July/August and the really crappy ones in January/February with equal levels of pride.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I say I have XX on the current tank, that I average 48 mpg, my lowest was 44 and my highest was 52. It either shuts them up or elicits wonder, awe and envy.

11. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 24 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]291646[/snapback]</div>

Since I stare at the average mpg reading on the MFD so much, I just tell them its most current reading.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    averages - summer and winter. e.g. ~4.5L/100km in the summer and ~5L/100km in the winter.

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 24 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]291471[/snapback]</div>
    and you noticed that you pay the same price as real gasoline! Wth's with that? Your driving one of the lowest polluting vehicles on the road and your stuck with that crap. Oppps sorry, rant off.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    normally, i just spout my regular tank mpg, it usually comes out to about 50ish mpg. i also mention that if i were to drive nice i'd get 54 mpg and a crappy tank with a lot of AC usage is about 46.

and if they ask about the highway, i tell em that our trip home is done 1200 miles in one shot at about 80 mph and we get around 42-43 mpg. of course, with the big vehicles i have to resist telling them that the while trip costs about the same as a tank or 2 of gas for them...

15. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 24 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]291375[/snapback]</div>
    Impressive. How are you keeping track of the average temperature?

16. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jul 24 2006, 06:25 AM) [snapback]291371[/snapback]</div>

With most of them, I just tell them about my 49.5 lifetime average over 27,000 miles.

I do like to chide my coworker (a Prius Pusher Prior to my Purchase); he lives near the coast in flatter land than I, yet 'scores' 3-4 MPG lower. :)

Others that I meet in parking lots, etc. already know of the mileage claims and are more impressed with the interior room and gadgetry. I guess they think econobox at first, and then are surprised in person :)

17. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 25 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]291944[/snapback]</div>
    Here is how I find my averages between my fillups.

Warning this site has a TON of info and get confusing to look at.
    Go here http://www.wunderground.com/

Type in your zipcode at the top and click the magnifying glass.

Scroll down and look on the left until you see History & Almanac.

Just leave the date there and click on the Go button.

On the next screen scroll down until you see " Daily | Weekly | Monthly | Custom | Trip Planner " Click on custom.

This next screen will allow you to enter two dates. Enter your from and to dates and click Go.

The next screen will give you your highs, lows, and averages along with a bunch of other stuff you can put in your spreadsheet to see what causes you to get great or poor mileage. :D

18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jul 25 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]291968[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks -- great site. It didn't tell me how many red lights I have had to stop at though. Those are what kill my mileage! ;)

19. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since I hit reset on the first of every month, I tell them whatever is on the MFD - "thus far this month I have travelled X miles and have Y mpg"

20. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a neat site, Force. I bookmarked that.

What I do is use Weather.com and pull up the month view. I average all the highs and the lows for the time period of the tank. I know it's not completely scientific but I'm not a scientist so what do I care. It's gives a pretty good overview.