1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone bought five dollars in gas before I arrived

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Apr 10, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I pulled into the gas station to fill up my Trooper before a road trip into the mountains. I noticed that the pump read "$5.00" and "1.91" gallons. I showed my wife and we both laughed. "Just fill the tank!" she uttered out loud (addressed to the previous guy).

Then it occured to me, what if that's all they can afford? I'm really starting to think about the working class, and what high gas prices mean for them, how much it must cost to drive around these days. I for one can afford to buy gasoline, even if I didn't have a Prius. But how does this affect the working class? What will this do to the economy as a whole?

Poor people only drive older cars, since they can't afford new ones. But what happens when the cost of driving a 15 year old Camry is higher than a new plug-in Prius?

I don't see any solution to this problem. Even the world's greatest technology only solves the problem for new car buyers and those that can afford it.

The poor are absolutely screwed, and maybe the rest of us along with them.

I guess I better vote for more buses...

Nate

3 people like this.
  2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe they filled a gas can for a mower. :p

3. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm just waiting for the day to come when people start siphoning gas from parked cars like they did in the 70s. Actually, come to think of it, someone did siphon gas from parked cars in Albuquerue when prices shot up over $3 last fall.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilahiker @ Apr 10 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]237656[/snapback]</div>
    This would be a great time to get that 'finger print recognition locking gas cap' company going....

:ph34r:

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 10 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]237663[/snapback]</div>
    Nooooo.... ER is going to be filled with people getting their fingers chopped off to steal gas... :lol:

6. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 10 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]237645[/snapback]</div>
    This is a good point, and I'm not sure. Public transport and affordable housing close to jobs must be the answer. In most areas, like mine, the affordable housing is far from the city center and job centers, which is part of the reason I currently have a 20 mile commute, and I'm firmly in the middle class. I don't know what someone on minimum wage would do.

7. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like Squid' s suggestion better...all that blood on your car...ick :(

8. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 10 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]237666[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

Exactly, which is why YOU can start a sugical company that specializes in such, complete with new tools and procedures! It's a win-win! :D

Or, a prostetic (sp?) company that specializes in fingers!

9. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 10 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]237677[/snapback]</div>
    No, no not a prosthetics company specializing in fingers...wouldn't that defeat the purpose? There'd be no pain from the prosthetics being chopped off...okay, now I'm thinking too weird for me!

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

How do you define "working class"? Where I live cops make $100,000 a year and teachers pretty close to that. So a married couple of cops or teachers are bringing in $200,000 - a bit more than minimum wage, I think.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For those of you lurking, needing to steal gas, I might remind you that my Prius has a locked gas door and only about 11 gallons in it (when full, which is rarely) and that Hummer H2's have over 31 gallons, and no lock on the gas cap.

Also, need I remind you, I'm 6'5", 285, and protective of my Prius. H2 owners are generally short and trying to make up for something. Also, they might not be certain whether you siphoned 20 gallons out or they just idled at an especially long red light.

Also, the big SUV's height will make siphoning a snap, since the fluid flows downhill. Siphoning gas from my Prius might be more difficult, since the tank sits very low.

So, now you know where to find gasoline when you need it. ;-) Other good sources for gasoline include vehicles labeled ESV, XL, or beginning with EX.

Nate

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 10 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]237702[/snapback]</div>
    I'm glad that Cops make $100,000 a year. This reduces corruption and invites people from all walks of life into the force.

Working class is anyone who can't afford a new high mpg car but can't afford gas for an old one.

Nate

1 person likes this.
  12. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 10 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]237703[/snapback]</div>
    What a clear mind!! Seems like a very rational approach to me.

13. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Yesterday the guy next to me in his giant SUV bought $10 worth of gas. Less than 3 gallons. I didn't make any snide remarks, but hope he lives nearby the gas station.

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 10 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]237702[/snapback]</div>
    Teachers making $100K? It happens, but only with tons of tenure. The median salary for a HS teacher in Nassau County is almost exactly $50K.

15. Mystery Squid

Working class = $5-$12/hr workers, generally working 40hrs/week, living paycheck to paycheck just to maintain basic expenses.

16. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I put $5 in my jeep yesterday... with what was in the tank it gives me just enough to make it to work today and tomorrow and then to roll into the Toyota dealership on E when I get my new Prius <grins>.

17. jchu

jchu New Member

Maybe he was just filling up his Motorcycle. (______ rocket edited for purposes of decency)

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've seen lots of times where the amount is $5 or $10 (I live near a university). Last time the gas was this high I saw someone with a performance car doing a 50/50 with regular and premium.

19. benighted

benighted New Member

People that live in the city and can't afford the high price of gas or a new car can drive a Scooter or a Moped. There already aren't enough parking spaces so maybe if more people drove scooters it would be helping more than 1 problem.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilahiker @ Apr 10 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]237656[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of a funny story about a neighbor a few houses away when I was a kid in the '70s. He was an old retired Army officer. He had is daily routines to keep himself “busy and healthy.†He kept an immaculate house, yard, car, wife, and apparently financial records too. Nice guy to have as a neighbor. He was friendly to everyone (even us kids who would run across his lawn while playing tag) and he watched out for the neighborhood.

He had noticed the gas mileage of his newish 1975 Cadillac El Dorado convertible all of the sudden drop considerably, so he took it into the dealer to have it checked. They found nothing wrong.
    Several months later in the Springtime, he had noticed the gas mileage drop doubled, so he took the car back in and complained. This time the dealer found a problem, but it was not with the car itself - he had done all the regular maintenance and everything checked-out just fine . . . except for - and they had to take him back into the service bay to show him while the car was still on the hoist - It seemed that someone had installed a tap valve into his gas tank from underneath the car. :eek:

To make a long story shorter, it turned out to be the 15 year old hoodlum kid that lived behind him. The parents allowed the kid to ride his dirt bike whenever and wherever he wanted . . . but he had to pay for his own gas. This kid never did anything the right way, so why bother paying when you can get your gas for free from the big rolling gas can over the back fence?

The old man ended up with several good pictures of the kid crawling through loosened fence boards with a gas can in hand. With the pictures and immaculate records, he had the kid arrested on felony charges.

We never saw the kid again. The dirt bike was sold, and the old man was reimbursed for the gas and a new tank. The kid's family moved away a few months later. We never heard exactly what happened to the little hoodlum.

Apparently siphoning was just too slow a process for this criminal mastermind. Unfortunately for him, it was his greed, and better dirt biking weather which was his undoing . . . He needed twice the gas.