1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

someone help

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by castrosebo, Mar 11, 2008.

1. castrosebo

castrosebo New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    someone help. Dead hybrid battery

I recently bought a used Toyota Prius. NHW11 model. There are relatively few prius in my country kenya. (Rough estimate fewer than 20). 90% of the cars in kenya are used cars from japan. I bought mine over the internet and had been used for 7 years with a milage of about 34000. However, when i tried to start it, it couldnt. There are no dealerships of the Prius in kenya so i took it to the only qualified technician in the port of Mombasa. After several days, he managed to recharge the battery, and i managed to drive the 500 kms to the capital city, Nairobi. I had barely reached Nairobi when it broke down (problem with gearbox) This was sorted out in a week. However the Ni-Mh battery has completely discharged. I tried the only technician in Nairobi, but he passed the verdict that the battery is dead and it needs replacing.

Its been 2 months now and i have not managed to get a used/new replacement battery in Africa. For us here in kenya, a car is a major investment and i had used all my savings to purchase the car.
    can someone please tell me where i can buy the NHW11 battery(year 2000)? A purchase online would be ideal as i dont think that the battery could be found around 1000kms from where i live

2. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Sounds like someone sold you a lemon (what we call a broken car that someone pretends is in good condition). I found a battery on Ebay, but it is a lot of money. So sad to tell you this, but 2001 batteries are hard to find. If you want to look at it, you can find it here:

eBay Motors: TOYOTA PRIUS 2001-2003 BATTERY HYBRID EGV (item 370030775412 end time Apr-08-08 09:13:31 PDT)

I wish I could be more help. I will keep my eyes open on the internet to see if anything shows up. Maybe your mechanic can help you, too. Have you checked with Toyota (toyota.com)? Maybe they can help somehow.

You were very wise to choose a Prius. Sadly, you got one with a bad battery. I hope this helps you.

Good luck. If I find anything, I will post it in your thread.

3. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You should also know that the same battery was in 2001, 2002, and 2003 Prius cars.

4. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has your mechanic considered that the battery may be fine but the car is not recharging the battery? If that's the case, that would probably be a lot cheaper than a new battery. Also, a new battery would not help in that situation.

If I were you, I would try to contact Toyota and explain your situation. They may be able to offer some advice for you.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and wish you luck in getting this resolved.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what can you spare after you spent all your savings on the prius?

a car like this buying over the internet i well never do.. and then the distance to....

i can have a look at broken priuses that have bean in a accident and see if there is a older model prius there.
    and maybe get a prise for a battery pack.

but firts look if you can recharge the battery pack and see if you can measure the voltage going in to the battery pack
    it can tell you if the charging from the elec generator is working.

maybe you don't need a new battery pack

o and goodluck!

6. castrosebo

castrosebo New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I really appreciate the feedback am getting from you guys. The link from saminjax was really helpful as i have contacted the ebay guy and try to negotiate on the price.
    To answer the Dutchman, here in kenya, you buy cars via the internet as you end up saving between $1000 to $3000 on a $5000 vehicle. An example is that i bought the prius from japan at $4600 (inclusive $1100 Shipping to kenya). The price here is about $13000 (After you include duty and handling) so i ended up saving about $4000 importing via the internet from japan. The downside is now when you get a "lemon" like saminjax calls it.
    We are also trying to promote the use of "greener" cars in africa, though toyota has refused to introduce the prius in our country as yet. so all the prius here in kenya are direct imports from japan.

The technician here has really done a great job trying to resuscate the battery, but unfortunately the battery does not store power as its supposed to and the voltage goes to unacceptable levels every time we try to start the car. Everything else was checked and the problem zeroed in on the battery pack. The only option left would be to purchase a new/used but workin battery or sell the car parts as salvage. the latter option wouldnt work as the number of prius here is very small.(less than 20 in the whole country).
    I am still counting on your support to try and get a good but affordable battery pack. so if anyone out there has an idea of where to buy it from, i will really appreciate and this will go a long way in convincing other users in Africa to buy the prius if they can be assured the availability of important parts like the battery

7. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Castrosebo,

You state that you bought the car used and it is 7 years old with 34,000 miles on it. In this case, the hybrid system, including the battery is under full warranty. You should contact Toyota about getting the hybrid battery replaced for free.

Here is URL with Toyto contact info:

Toyota Help

Or click here to send an email to Toyota:

Email Toyota

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    o yes thats a good one

i also imported my prius and i stil have a written conformation from toyota that i also have full warranty still.

and if not i found a 2001 battery pack for around 500 euro and then you need to ship it .. so? you wil be spending close to 1000 dollar on it i guess or more!

and if you want someone to help you with parts and maybe a cheaper solution contact autobeyours.com maybe there is a prius type 1 battery pack available!