1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone keyed our Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tasker109, Jul 5, 2008.

1. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have had cars for 42 years. I park at the same places I always have. Today, someone keyed the driver door of the Prius while I was in Walmart. It just sickens me to know that people do such mean things for no reason at all. Has anyone had a door painted lately that could give me an idea how much its going to cost? :(

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ouch, sorry :( happened to us about a year ago too.

we had to have almost half the car repainted because they hit both doors and the rear quarter panel. cost was $1000, we paid out a $500 deductible. then we dropped our comprehensive deductible to $100.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm so sorry some stupid hater did that to your car. Galaxee had a similar problem, at an even more unlikely location.

4. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    walmart attracts all kinds of people.. it was probably random.. a young hoodlum who
    did not care what kind of car they damaged.. as long as they got their kicks for the
    day being a bad boy.

eventually that type gets theirs in the end. prison.

sorry to hear about this and i wish you the best of luck fixing it for cheap.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask walmart if they have security footage of the parking lots... perhaps they can ID your troublemakers.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really sorry to hear your nice car got keyed.

It is truly pathetic how some get a rise out of making the world a worse place.

Considering how many people get away with evil deeds, some very evil, I personally find comfort in hope that God sees all and will judge. I've no proof for that, but it brings me some comfort.

7. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    WalMart does have cameras.
    The trick will be in getting them to let you view the footage.
    If you filed a police report and feel it is worth the trouble and cost a lawyer can make them.
    Or,you might get lucky and find the manager willing to allow you to see
    footage.
    I would just forget about it and paint door.
    I had one painted about three years ago for $300.00,local shop.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

8. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks all. tom is going out this morning to see if any shops are open to give us an estimate. i was thinking in the 400 dollar range....i was thinking, there goes a couple months gas savings........sheesh. i told him to see if they could cover up the scratch on the bumper from the flying license plate that hit it a couple weeks ago. some people could just let it go and not worry about it, but we have to get it fixed. it would bug us every time we look at it. let ya know what he comes up with.

9. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sucks that your car got keyed. People really stink.

I hate going to Walmart, not because of dislike of big corporations but because their parking lots always seems to be hard to get in and out of, the isles are too narrow for decent shopping and present company excluded the customers there seem to be rude, (walk right down the middle of the parking lot so cars can't get by, block shopping isles etc).

Anyway enough of my rant. I have to go there once in a great while and I always park way out at the far end of the lot and hoof it in. It really reduces the competition for spaces and there are far fewer people walking by my car that might want to do things like steal stuff or key the car. It has been my experience that the people that do this sort of stuff are fat and lazy and don't want to walk a 100 yards (gasp!!!) to execute their evil.

G

10. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    tasker,

Sorry to hear about the damage to your Prius. It should be covered by Comprehensive on your auto insurance, although you're still out the deductible amount (usually much less than the Collision deductible). You might want to talk to your insurance company and get their recommendation on a good repair facility.

Some years ago, the wife had her new car keyed in a university parking lot. Needless to say, she was VERY upset.....

11. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to hear about your car. which walmart in il were you at?

at the same time you are too far away for the security cameras to catch anything.

12. howgreenru

howgreenru I hate Door-Dings

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ooh, that sucks.
    Ours has nice big dent in the side shaped like the toe of a shoe, at just the right height for a toe of a shoe to end up if someone were to kick it...
    And then someone keyed the OTHER door in 3 different places...

I wonder how they would feel if I did that to their car...

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry to hear about the keying. You have to accept there are a lot of hillbillies, rednecks, dumbasses, and white trash who - in their deranged little peabrains - believe the Prius alone is responsible for the current price of fuel, the economic mess, etc

That has to be true. Plenty of neocons have brainwashed them into believing it

These same retards are also insanely jealous of anybody with a nice vehicle. I had a 1990 4Runner keyed when it was only a couple of years old. Cost me around $300 to fix the driver door, but at least it did closely match.

I'm a big buy, shaped like a gorilla. Personally, if I caught anybody keying my vehicle, I'd rip their f***ing arms right off. Around a year ago, I caught some teenaged punks trying to key my FJ at a Home Depot. I worked them over pretty good

Quite frankly, I'm surprised they didn't have me arrested for interfering with their criminal activity.

As far as the repair, I guess it can be fixed to almost match the rest of the car. I've never had small repairs exactly match the rest of the car

14. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    heres a picture.......didnt get to get an estimate because everyone was closed for the holiday weekend. our comprehensive deductible is 500 so im sure its going to be out of pocket.

Attached Files:

15. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    we were at the one in ofallon illinois. its about 1 mile from our house. the flavor of the store has been changing and im thinking about going to the one about 5 miles away just because of that.

16. cyee

cyee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That looks like it's just clearcoat only. You might be able to get it buffed out or get the door re-clearcoated. Its hard to tell from the picture, but ask the bodyshop if they think it can be repaired without repainting.

17. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    oh yeah? it looks like its down to the primer.......more later.......

18. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also sorry to hear about your paint damage...I love to shop at Walmart, but I try to park at the very far end of the lot where it is less busy with traffic. This can happen to all of us, so be mindful as to where you park your Prius.

19. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i always try to park as far from any car as possible, esp in "low class" places like walmart ... sorry about your door, try some touch up paint from the dealer

20. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    grrrrrrrrr......2 estimates. one was 695 and the other 495. the lesser one is from a reputable place and the price difference is because they offer deals to USAA insurance customers. its not that bad and isnt that terribly noticeable but its a new car and i hate to have a big scratch on it.