1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone ran into me in the parking lot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fizzlefazzle, Jan 7, 2006.

1. fizzlefazzle

fizzlefazzle New Member

Im soo upset, i literally picked up my new 05 today and i got home and just saw someone must of ran into me in one of the parking lots. The right side of the bumper is kinda off and cracked and the light is also broken. Im absolutly heartbroken as ive fallen in love with the car already. I dont know if i want to go through insurance on this one, dont want my premiums to go up. Anyone have an approx how much this will cost to fix :(

Im so upset, it would figure i finally get the new car.

2. kente777

kente777 New Member

Sorry to hear about your new car.

It's amazing to me how something that looks so minor can be so expensive. If I had to guess, I would say about 750 dollars worth of damage. Could be as low as 500 or as high as 1000.

Ken

3. fizzlefazzle

fizzlefazzle New Member

I feel sick to my stomach, im guessing it was the diner parking lot. Id been so careful all day readjusting to automatic and all. And then some idiot goes and runs into it and just ignores it and goes on his merry ol' way. Is any mechanic going to be able to fix this (i.e. get the parts?)

Thanks, yea thats about the price i figured :(

4. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was rear ended just before christmas while waitng in traffic. I took the car in on friday for an estimate and was told to bring it back on tuesday for repairs to begin...I had it back on friday fixed though my bumper applique is still on back order.
    They just repainted my bumper but since I was pushed into the car in front me I had front end damage too.....it came to $3,000.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Do you have a breakdown of front vs back? Someone kicked in my front bumper yesterday, will need to replace and repaint. I'm guessing $500-$600 to repair?

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can imagine how you must feel, I was upset when someone ran into my Honda and it was 6 years old at the time.

Why don't you call your insurance company and ask them if it would count against you? Being in a parking lot with you not even in the car it might not. You coud try to get them to tell you without telling them who you are if your paranoid, like I am.

7. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had the same thing happen to me. When my current car was just 2 weeks old, had it parked at a parking lot and when I returned, there was a big damage to the front bumper.
    I'm a peace loving person, but at that moment it was better that I didn,t know who had done it......

8. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To replace front bumper cover, some bracing and energy absorber including labor and paint was $576.16 (2 hours body labor@38/hr, 3 hours paint@38hr)

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I can just imagine how much that bites. :angry:

The good news is you will be able to fix it up to new condition.
    I agree with calling the Insurance company without giving your name. If they refuse to talk to you, I would change insurance after dealing with this problem.

All the best

10. fizzlefazzle

fizzlefazzle New Member

Well i guess i have good news! Insurance said because i was not in the car its considered no-fault and my preminum wont suffer! I filed a police report today and took it for estimates ($1700). I have a 500 deductable (never realized i would need it so soon <_< ) But i calmed down quite a bit. I do wish people would be a bit more grown up and leave thier information instead of just running. But whats done is done, and i still love my new baby! Wierd how you develop emotional attachments to your car isnt it?

11. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    People are not taking responsibility for their actions. It's just not right. While we did not receive any damage as what is described above, my Sweetie called me just furious that some kid dinged the back right door of our Prius not even 2 weeks into ownership! As Sho-Bud states, had she fouind it before she left the parking lot she might have acted regretfully..... We will touch it up & leave it. Maybe no more dings then?

12. KathyY

KathyY Member

I was rear-ended before Christmas. There was just bumper damage--no lights or hatch involved. After they got the bumper off they found some other damage. The total was just under $1200 to fix. I sure hated the rental Gran Prix that the Enterprise gave me--they said that I was lucky to get the car since that was the last one they had and I was supposed to get a smaller car. I missed my Prius while it was out of action.

13. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Frizzlefrazzle,

I really feel your pain. I park in the boondocks of every parking lot, largely because you can count on lazy people/SUV drivers not to go out that far and so you can minimize your chances of some incredibly morally weak person devaluing your investment.

That said, despite my preventative practices, alas, my beloved Old School 2003 has a pair of identical parallel imprints, likely from a shopping cart on the right-rear quarter panel/bumper, license plate bolt marks smack in the middle of the rear bumper from a moron(s) who can't parallel park, and a graze from a recently-licensed student on the left rear quarter panel. And don't forget to add in the various and sundry door dings from other a$$h--es who can't respect other peoples property.

(Sigh) No, you just can't have anything nice it seems. Even so, the car is in great shape and I have a door ding expert that I retain on ocassion that is a real pro. Fortunately, I don't have any paint problems. I have really been inspired by this Forum and ordered an arsenal of Zaino products last week so plan to detail it when they get here (damn UPS Ground...taking a week+ to get them to MD from NJ...go figure...)

I paid off my Prius recently but I plan to keep it until 2010 largely because I know it will only get more beat up as long as I live in Maryland. Baltimore, where I work, is very hard on cars; lots of very poorly maintained roads, potholes, idiots, etc. I've had to replace all 4 tires within 3 years -- 3 to flats and 1 to road wear.

We will be buying a new Prius when we move out of the state. Anyway, very sorry to hear about your loss; what a kick in the teeth. It's great that the insurance company is doing the right thing and not increasing your premium.

Hope you can get your repairs done soon and this mess behind you.

Best,
    Dave

14. JKnight

JKnight Member

My Prius got crunched in a parking lot over the holidays, too. No note. I had to swallow a $250 deductible but got a new bumper out of the deal, and the old one was pretty dinged up. I also lost two HOV lane stickers and have sent off for replacements. The total repair bill was over $1300. Insurance (AAA) said it wouldn't count against me since I was in no way at fault.

Jan

P.S.: I got a Dodge Neon as a rental and didn't think much of it, in a previous episode. This time I got a Nissan Sentra and, while it was no Prius, it seemed like a pretty decent car.