1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Someone stole my wheel locks!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Deleted member 137491, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Hello everyone!

This is my first time here. SOrry but I don't know much about cars...

This morning I found out that someone stole this from my 2007 Prius. I don't know what it's called...is it a wheel lock or cap? They stole it from all 4 of my tires!!! 1 from each tire!

15156151888454.jpg

I can't include the link to the image because the site won't let me so I have uploaded it. Can you pleaseee tell me what this thing is called and where I can buy it?? I was going to buy new tires soon anyways but now I need to buy these wheel locks or w/e they are called too! THANK YOU!

Sally

EDIT: Uploaded picture with arrow to show what I am talking about...sorry!

#1 Deleted member 137491, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beachbummm likes this.
  4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    locking lug nut and they need the "key" to get them off...is yours still in the car?
    now they can come back and steal your rims much easier..check your neighborhood for a prius with bad tires, that's your thief

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree, the OP was lucky that's all they stole. At least the car wasn't discovered up on blocks with no wheels/tires. :eek:

6. Thanks guys for responding! So the name of the part they stole is called a lug nut?

Where do I find the key are you are talking about? Do you have a picture of what it looks like so I can look for it? Sorry I don't know any of this!!! :(

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The keys are supposedly matched to the lock set. You have to purchase a new set (wheel locks and key).

Look in your spare tire wheel well. Hopefully, the original 4 lugnuts removed when the locking set was installed is there. If they are, then put them on so you aren't driving around with 4 lugnuts per wheel (very unsafe)!

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did they just steal a lug nut and not wheel locking nut? If it was an actual wheel lock, they would need to have the key to do it. I can't remember any 2007 with stock rims having wheel locks on them. Those rims are not all that great, and I actually gave 4 of them away because nobody would buy them lol

If it's just a lug nut you are missing, on each tire, just go out and buy 4 of them at the dealer. They are called "lug nuts"

If you were close to me, I can give you 4 of them, I have plenty of spares.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i see you are in the usa, that might be the source of your problems.

#9 bisco, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess Sally isn't smiling now. :(

bisco likes this.
  11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They stole the wheel locks so they most likely had a master key. They are either a Port Installed Option or dealer add on. Whoever put them on my car kept the originals. IMO, they are worthless and I wanted them removed. The dealer compromised by not charging for them.

There should be a socket like tool in the glovebox, under the deck, or with the spare tire.

Just go to the auto parts store & buy 4 regular lug nuts. The store also sells sets of the locking ones.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My prius V came with locks, I took them off and put on regular lug nuts. Nobody will steal these prius wheels

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    definitely look through your whole car asap for the original lug nuts, the key to the missing locking lug nuts or the package the locks came in. if the PO didn't lose that stuff they might have stuck it anywhere.

14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    don't worry about the key the lug nuts are gone..
    when you buy a new set of locking lug nuts they will come with the matching key nut..think of it like a puzzle piece that fits together..

when you get the new set keep the key and original package in the spare tire compartment. If you lose the key nut the serial number on the package will give you the info to order a replacement...

you don't have to use lock nuts you can just go to the Toyota dealer and buy 4 standard lug nut

15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The arrow is pointing at a wheel lock, which replaces the lug nut. As mentioned, there should be a wheel lock key somewhere in the vehicle (typically there is a space for it in the plastic piece just above the spare tire, at least on the Gen III.) The four "missing" lug nuts may also have been placed somewhere in the vehicle.

Nothing is missing - There is one wheel lock on each wheel to prevent wheel theft, which is typically NOT a problem on the Prius. The only thing that MAY be missing is the wheel lock key, used to unlock each wheel for removal (say, for tire rotation or a flat.) Find the key and all will be right with the world. :)

16. Thanks for responding. You guys are the best!!! I looked inside my car and This is what I found:

51810506151123215.jpg

The key is the middle one right? it is hexagon shaped like the screw/lock that is missing from my wheel. So I guess my Prius just has a regular lug nut then???

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sally, that is just a regular lug wrench. Someone either stole your locking lugnuts, as originally titled in this thread, or they took one regular lugnut from each of your wheels (more likely).

18. Ohh ok sorry for the confusion. So I want to buy the exact lug nut so it matches all the other ones. I have to buy it at the Toyota dealership then right?

19. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess they started by your locking lug nuts then might come back for your wheels

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You can replace the wheel lock with a lug nut, but you have to find the wheel lock key first...