1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something About The Volt Sounds Familiar...

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Prianista, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From an interview with the Volt's chief engineer:

"The early concept, a low-riding, sleek silver hatchback, was uncomfortable to sit in and not very functional, Farah said.
    The new five-door hatchback version more resembles a normal car, a little larger than a Honda Civic." [more]

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah. I read that when the article first came out.

Couldn't help thinking it would eventually look something like this:

[​IMG]

3. CarGuy60

CarGuy60 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sure hope it has better seats than the Pri

4. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Volt could do more damage to the hybrid market than any other factor you can imagine. When this GM POS has extensive problems, hybrids in general will get a bad rep.

GM .... please find another way to make money. Automobiles are clearly not your thing. :)

... Brad

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know you don't yet have your Prius, so I'm hoping you'll find the seats more to your liking once you've had the car for some time.

We all have our little quirks and preferences -- I'm not a big fan of the GM seats. All the same, I've had cars with seats that I've liked much better than my current Prius's seats (a VW and a Nissan come to mind). Even so, I've been very pleased with the comfort and "performance" of the seats over some long drives (up to 8 hours at a time).

I just hope they don't try to duplicate the Prius, because they'll never get it to be as good. Let's hope they come out with a winner of a car that is different.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not as concerned as you on this point. Toyota's been making functional hybrids for ten years now. Honda's been doing it a tad longer. There are marginally successful hybrid versions of the Tahoe, Vue, and others (if by successful you use the parameters "no major recalls").

If the Volt really is a lump of bad engineering, if the batteries tend to explode, if the appearance is so bad no one wants it, or if the price is so high no one can afford it then I think the blame is squarely and solely on GM. If anything, I think it would make the other manufacturers and models more appealing.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In hindsight, the following things should be clear:

1) The original concept car was nothing more than a studio project available for a PR stunt.

2) The Volt was presented as a PR stunt. Note that the chief engineer was convinced that he would be wasting his time .....until it became clear that every other GM plan was headed for greater failures.

3) GM was enjoying the media attention, until the destruction of the GM SUV future took place.....and the PR stunt was the only option left for future survival.

4) It is sad that GM now has to go overseas to get the best engineer available.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    5) Whatever they come up with won't be as good as what they already had (EV1).

9. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They tried Home Mortgages but that hasn't worked so well.

10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Better seats? Best to hope it simply gets off the drawing board :p
    When a company pushes hydrogen, AND a non-existant car? THAT's what you call a ticket to bankruptcy.