1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something for nothing?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mootsman, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mootsman

mootsman New Member

Caveat:
    Yes, I have used the search function to try and answer most of my tech questions about my new Prius. Unfortunately it appears that there is a wealth of good info but it is scattered all over the site -- IS THERE A FAQ ANYWHERE?

Anyhow, my question: I live in a hilly/rolling area with few flats; however there is a one mile flat that I frequently ride -- and it is flat as I can tell from my inclinometer on my bike. So, I can speed quickly up to about 45 and then hold 38 for the entire mile without the ICE kicking in at all. No big deal....but there are no arrows either -- it's like I'm running on nothing. If I ever ever so lightly increase the "throttle" the electric motor will kick in. But what's happening with no arrows are showing? Is this some sort of elevated nirvana state for the Prius? Thanks for any info.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes, it is Prius Nirvana.

Try searching under "pulse and glide".

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

grasshopper, people spend lifetimes to achieve what you have.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, it's called gliding - the term used to describe the state in which the car is in motion with the engine off and no arrows to or from the battery. It is, essentially, a free ride and the best way to boost mileage. Of course, glide long enough and you'll still see the battery bars disappear as the A/C and fan uses some power.

5. prez1

prez1 New Member

But what's happening with no arrows are showing? Is this some sort of elevated nirvana state for the Prius? Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the free energy ride. I hit this every time I drive on a certain flat stretch of road out in the country.

6. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw it for the first time today. Extremely thrilled by it. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

It is extremely easy to glide with no arrows showing, I do it all time... by shifting to neutral. :rolleyes:

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the glide is normally *fairly* easy to do at any speeds below 41 MPH, if you take the time to learn to feather the accelerator pedal correctly, which you seem to have done. At higher speeds, it is extremely difficult (try it on a downhill -have no arrows when you start down the hill at 40MPH, watch your speed climb and without moving your foot you'll start getting yellow arrows from the batteries to the motora dn then to the wheels), but still doable with a ton of practice (i get it occasionally in the 50 MPH range, mostly luck still)