1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something horrible happened today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Jun 5, 2006.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So my car is only 4 months old. Never have I had ONE problem with it so far...until today. Something very weird happened! Maybe one of you can help me figure out what it was. I went to go pick up lunch, parked my car at a meter and came back 10 or so minutes later. I started my car like I always do and went to put the gear in drive. However it would not move to drive at all. It stayed in park. Then I noticed that the dashboard wasn't fully on. So I turned off the car and tried again. The start button wasn't green but an orange color and the dash wasn't turning on. Also I noticed my steering wheel was COMPLETELY locked. I could not move or turn it at all. I also saw the brake light on but the brake was not on. I let it sit for 2 minutes and tried again and everything worked fine. It freaked me out though! Ohhh also when I was trying to move it from P to R it moved to N and started rolling foward for a second. I was thinking maybe my key in my bag was being too covered up so the "keyless go" was only half working and the car got confused! I am just sooo scared now that something is wrong with my car. Why would the steering wheel be locked?!?! And I must mention that of course my foot was on the break when I pushed start. Any help pleaaaase!!! :unsure:

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you are in the ACC and Ig-On state. If you press power without stepping on the brake fully, you will be in ACC state. You press power one more time, you'll be in Ig-On state (orange light on power button). Press power again will shut off the car. So next time, just remember to press on the brake fully when you want to start.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll second that diagnosis. Did you notice if the display said you were in "Ready" mode when you tried to put it in gear?

4. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

I had pretty much the same thing happen a while back.It was as ScottY says above. In my case I was messing around with CDs and when I went to start, I did have my foot on the brake. It went thru the same sequence you described. Now I remember the foot and it hasn't happened since.

Hopefully yours is the same thing.

5. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Phew!!!! This doesn't seem too serious then. Maybe my foot wasn't pressing all the way down. Hopefully it won't happen again.

6. pafoss

pafoss Plug-in Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've done the exact same thing. It wasn't in "Ready" state since I didn't depress the brake enough when I hit the Start button.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not stepping on the brake hard enough will indeed confuse/lockup the system.

It's documented in the User-Guide to remind people and hopefully prevent panic.

From that experience, you now have a heightened awareness. That should do the trick.

8. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Simple-- just remember to press the brake pedal, and it's no worries! Otherwise, both user and Prius get very, very confused--it's happened to me also!

9. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And your brake light was on because it turns on ALL the dash signals on when you start the car (so you can tell if something's burned out) and they all go off after about 2 seconds.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep was in ignition mode. maybe a change, but my Prius does not have a steering wheel lock on it in any mode.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 6 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]266519[/snapback]</div>
    Without the electric assist on the steering, it may feel as if the wheel is locked.

Tom

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This happened to my wife the first time she took the Prius somewhere without me. She called me on her cellphone, all in a panic, because the car wouldn't go into drive. She had been sitting in the car, eating her lunch, and evidently hit the power button without putting her foot on the brake first, or quickly enough. I simply told her to power down, put her foot on the brake, and power up again. All was good this time! :rolleyes: She actually had it happen to her again one time, but remembered what I told her before, and cycled through it again with no problems.