1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Something strange with a digit on my trip 'B' odometer...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Paradox, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yesterday morning and this morning I noticed the first digit on my trip odometer 'B' is lit red while the other digits are green. I have not cycled to 'B' in a while but did yesterday and took notice.

It's not a big thing to me but has anyone else noticed something similar? I never let my trip A odometer go over 999 so maybe it just happens once there is a fourth digit, not sure. I took a pic this morning but now that I uploaded it to the computer from my phone it doesn't show the 5 as different in color as it shows to the naked eye. Anyways, here's the pic:

[​IMG]

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Strange--my trip A & trip B have both been in 4 digits, and all are green.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. That digit is cold! and turning red from the chill. If it is what I think it is, it should turn green when it gets warm.

Someone else, name not remembered, mentioned this in another thread probably last month. Since then, I have noticed it repeatedly on the upper two digits of the main odo, and on the top two bars the SOC gauge, when they get lit up on these cold mornings after the other digits have warmed, but before the car and whole display is warm.

This also explains the red/pink/salmon color some of us were claiming to have seen on the top SOC bars last summer and fall. My sighting then was in a cold car, parked on a high mountain trailhead all day then pointed immediately down a steep hill.

It would seem that the whole display should have this cast when first turned on, but I don't have a warm green reference next to it for comparison.

Can you watch it longer and report whether or not the red color fades with warming?

4. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On mine the fourth digit is red. The top bar of the battery charge indicator is also red.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I checked it out again this morning and found something else strange about it.

As you can see from the pic, this was when the headlights were on. If you rotate the dimmer switch for the dash lights until it clocks to turn the dash lights on full bright 'day' mode the 5 turns green. Rotate back to and dimmed lever other than 'day' mode and it goes back to red.

Not worth taking the car in IMO since it affects no operation of the car but it must be some sort of software glitch(?)

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds to me like a bad pixel in the display. When LCD screens first came out, the manufacturers claimed that something like up to 5 bad pixels was normal. At least point it out to your dealer next time the car is in for service. I'd probably just live with it.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The pattern of green at full brightness, and red/pink/salmon when dimmed with the headlights, is perfectly consistent with the top battery bar observations some of us saw last year.

Have you watched the MID during bootup? With the headlights on and panel brightness turned down, of course. During that brief animation, my screen is showing a scramble of green and pinkish sections.

I'm thinking this is a mixture of cold display segments, and some pattern burn-in difference between heavily used pixels and rarely used pixels.