1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sometimes you just need to vent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Oct 11, 2004.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This article posted today got me all worked up... because it is the same kind of hybrid comparison nonsense I've been reading for years. So I decided to vent my feelings here:

> Yeah, this car -- an environmentally friendly and fuel-efficient hybrid -- really did burn a little rubber.

Friendly, I don't think so. Not even close. The smog-related emissions from Accord-Hybrid are no better than 90 other models of vehicle on the road today.

> Honda says the Accord hybrid should get 30 miles per gallon in the city and 37 mpg on the highway.

How come the article doesn't mention what the non-hybrid gets? What is the actual improvement?

> Not bad for a sedan with 255 horsepower.

The "more is better" mindset is really sad. But we can play that game too. Prius has a 50kW motor and a 500-volt system.

> To date, the primary purpose of hybrid cars, which run using a combo of an electric motor and conventional gasoline engine, is to sip fuel.

Clearly, the writer doesn't understand Prius. The primary purpose of Prius is to reduce emissions, not obtain the ultimate MPG. Instead, MPG comes secondary and can only be considered fantabulous.

> Prius... a pretty boring ride

Notice how he never mentioned why. That's because the description would likely match that of a luxury vehicle. You know... smoooooth, quiet, dependable.

> The Prius gets from zero to 60 mph in an unremarkable 10 seconds.

Just a few years ago, 10 seconds was impressive. What changed? The speed limit is the same and highways are more congested now. That translates to overkill. No benefit whatsoever for the typical driver.

> together racked up 54,000 sales

No mention of horribly long waiting lists and limited supply makes for non-objective reporting. And what about the 100,000 Toyota will be delivering this year due to last year's overwhelming demand?

> Even the Prius will sell only 45,000 this year, and it's a few thousand dollars cheaper than the $30,000 Accord.

What? Again, poor reporting. He failed to mention the base package for Prius (which is actually rather well loaded) is $20,875. That's quite a bit more than "a few".

> all using hybrid technology

At this point (year 5 in the United States), there is no excuse for lumping all the designs of hybrid into a single category... especially when the MPG improvement they deliver varies so much.

But since we can't stop vague & misleading articles from being published, sometimes you just need to vent. So I did here. And it felt great!

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Come on. Let's put this in perspective. We are not defending the honor of a Deity. It is not worth it to get into a huff over what someone thinks of another hybrid.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there was one bit of information in the article that caught my attention and it was about the A/C compressor being both engine driven and electric driven, where by it cycles between, depending on the ICE, if it's running it's engine driven and if in the stopped mode it's electric motor driven. Why use electric power when the ICE is running? that makes sense to me.

4. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    What getsme are statments like "The Prius is a different-looking product,". Well it maybe so in the US, I dont know, but in Europe, its not "different looking" at all.

Ive only noticed 2 people look at the car asIve driven past. Thats how normal it is.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The irony is that this is the exact same author of This Article that I was quoted in back before the '04 Prius was even on the road. And he was quite positive about the whole thing.

The bottom line is they aren't writing these articles to try to be factual, fair, even handed, they're writing to try to be interesting and appealing to as large an audience as possible.

It sucks, it isn't right, and it happens for lots of other things we'll never realize b/c we aren't as informed about them as we are our Prius.

6. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Have you thought of contacting him and giving him a "one year on" report and asking why he was so negative in the other article?

7. Ryomatic

Ryomatic New Member

How about this line:

>With its 255 ponies, it hits 60 mph in less than 7 seconds, and can go 600 miles on a tank of gas.

So, if the Accord is supposed to get at best 37hwy, that means it must have close to a 17 gallon tank. I can go 600 miles on a tank in my Hummer b/c it gets 1 mile per gallon and I have a 600 gallon tank in the trunk. How innovative.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

he's not writing the article to be objective, he's writing it to keep his pay cheque coming in.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, maybe I should.
    --evan

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they're just trying to make the Accord Hybrid fit into the market better. I remember when most said that the Civic Hybrid was the better idea cause it meant that it looked and drove like a normal car. Now with the new Prius, they changed their minds. It's better to have a car that looks different and to tell people that you are concerned about emissions and fuel usage. Unless you're a car freak, you'd be hard pressed to find the subtle differences btwn a Cdn$28,000 Civic Hybrid and a Cdn$21,600 Civic Si sedan. My guess is that the Accord Hybrid will sell for about Cdn$35,000-$36,000 compared to $33,600 for the 2005 Accord EX-V6. Ok, so it'll have leather, big deal. Will it have a sat-nav? not in Canada, auto-dimming mirror? that's extra, floormats? that's extra too, what about wheel locks, rear splash guards, and a cargo net? all extra. These are standard in the Canadian Prius. So based on the price, the Prius is a winner. Like john1701a said, it's a pity that the mindset of more hp = a better car is still cemented in their minds. The extra 15hp offsets the extra weight

11. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh my, 10132003, you must remember that the Prius is not just "another hybrid". The deity will probably dump your precious amp collection in the middle of your next commute for such heretical comments. :roll:

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, Evan, you're just a radical greenie.

:lol:

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

While your words ring true about the honor of a Deity, I think you should cut john1701a some slack. Literally, there are I'm sure tens of people on this board that wouldn't own a Prius without all the info he's provided. As noted in the post, he just wanted to vent a little about misinformed idiot Americans, as there seem to be more than ever today. Everyone wants to jump on the hybrid bandwagon, as visible by the silly Silverado with 0mpg improvement. And you know what will happen when their sales are non-existant with it? They'll do what they did with diesel in the late 70s and say it's not worth it, and kill it.

I wouldn't own my car today if it wasn't for john1701a and his website. I think at the very least, a good deal of people here would be in the same situation, if not very very misinformed before buying and possibly sold on other hybrids that aren't similar at all (aka the civic). I say cut him some slack and let him vent because he deserves it after 3 years of the free info he's given us all.

-m.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have a valid point. john1701a provides a valuable source of information about the Prius. I made the decision to buy the car well before I discovered John's site or even this one. I am extremely satisfied with my decision and I encourage everyone who shows interest in the car to consider purchasing one.

I do, however, fail to understand the religious fervor with which some of the posters here respond to any perceived criticism of the car. After all, it is an item of material possession, not our loved ones, our country or our faith.

I may have erred in posting my reaction in response to this particular message by John, but my feelings about sanctification of the Prius have been brewing for some time.

Peace.

15. rflagg

rflagg Member

I can understand the feeling of 'it's just a car' - I know exactly what you are saying, and I do agree with that to quite an extent. In the end, it is only a material possession.

But, to defend it a little - it is the second largest material possession one purchases next to a house - which in all fairness, is usually *more* than a material possession to most people. The same goes for some people with cars.

For me, for example, I don't own a house, and won't even consider buying one in the local market because of many factors. So, for right now, this car is the largest purchase of my life, and since it does consume so much of my money (which can be seen as time working), I want it to mean something to me. And this car, specifically the Prius, is the car I would be driving if money were no object to me. It's truly my dream car - sure I'd have a porsche perhaps in the garage (or if I could get a Volta maybe!) for an occasional joyride, but with money being no object this would still be the car I would drive regularly.

And, in defense of the Prius, it is a statement - the lowest emissions from a four-door, the neatest technology, some excellent mileage, and so on.

I wasn't really interested in cars before the Prius, either. I wanted them to have nice features, and get me from point a to b, and that's it. I was lucky to get my oil changes on time, and forget checking the tires, or anything else with my Neon. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Prius is one of those cars that lets you become more vested in taking good care of the car - because the more you do, the (albeit small) better your mileage can be, and you see it directly.

Sorry for going on and on, I do understand where you're coming from - this is a car, not a family member or a belief. But I do think with all the attempts by other large automakers to destroy hard evidence in what a car should achieve in a mass market by using hearsay and negative campaigns should be brought attention to. I'd have no problem not defending this car if so many people didn't get asked about the high voltage worries or plugging it in.

While we're only driving and buying a car, this car has many great qualities that will hopefully be emulated by other car manufacturers.

-m.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone ever done the math?

How much does a household spend on vehicles during the ownership time of that house?

During a 30-year span, just between husband & wife, they could easily utilize the lifetimes of 5 vehicles. Adding children or the care-giving of an older parent, you could easily up that number to 8. If the average price of a vehicle is roughly $24,000 after tax & financing, you're talking $192,000.

Whether that amount is as much as the house become irrelevant at that point. That's way too much money to simply dismiss... especially when you decide to factor in the cost of maintenance & gas too!

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just chiming in here:
    I think John is valid in his venting. He has owned a Prius for many, many years and I tip my hat to all Classic owners.

And I agree with 10132003 that the Prius is just a car. I for one have never been a car fanatic.

However, I have always held on to the belief that the Prius represents more than just the sum of its parts. For example, there are those who believe that because I bought in import, I am anti-American. I tell them that our dependance on foreign oil is what keeps our soldiers in hostile territory. Some experts believe that the oil reserves will last until 2021 (SciAm, May 2004); I ask what you're willing to bet on that. Some poeple believe that hybrids have no power; I beat them off the line with a 49MPG lifetime average.

As I read through this forum I continue to see posts relating stories of poeple who have never seen, heard of, or know about the Prius or any hybrid technology. Those are the "swing voters". As many people report, as soon as these hybrid virgins meet a Prius, they love it. If they consider a hybrid next time they need a car, that's a victory for hybrid technology, a reduction in oil consumption, and a drop in emissions.

Unfortunately, there's the other side. There are those who ignorantly insist that hybrids are clunky, unproven, slow-moving, cramped vehicles. They insist that the actual MPG does not reflect projected MPG and it's all Toyota's fault. The problem is that these are the people writing articles about cars and projecting their negatism onto the Prius and promoting non-hybrid or poor-hybrid advances. The fact that they have the bullhorns means that they will skew more people faster than we can educate them.

When I signed up to be on the waiting list, I reseached John's site, I read multiple boards, I eventually registered at PriusChat. When I purchased Priapus, I told as many poeple as I could as to make a line of poeple I could educate about the car and the potentials of full-hybrid vehicles. I would just rather see these poeple educated through their own experiences with my car than bombarded with someone's personal opinions and apperant ignorance.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Venting is good. 8) Just the thing to keep the head on straight. And it is just a car but so was the model T just a car. Both the Prius and the T are important cars though. I think that the Toyota technology is the better step to the future. I did my home work and made my decision, the next 10 years will tell. I do see this writer as having on foot firmly in the past but his great toe on the other foot is starting to edge into the future. The article is c**p but it may push a few into better choices. All the Honda's and the Ford do help reduce emissions and gas usage and are a good step. The GM Silverado is what I would call a Psudo hybrid and even that is better than nothing as long as we don't pretend it is any where near being in the same group. It may well be that this writer will be driving a true hybrid in the near future weather he is a believer or not, what excites me is what the Prius will be by then.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I read the article differently than everyone else here. Although we can go through and nit pick the details and as Prius owners we could choose to view the someone negative comments about the Prius in a negative way.

But the gestalt I got from the article was "Look, just b/c a car is a hybrid doesn't mean you can't still 'have it all'" You can have speed/power, luxury and traditional style. Ok, I don't believe the Prius looks like an egg, but it's not a style that will endear many Americans. If the technology can be more seamlessly and invisibly integrated into already popular vehicles it's more likely to appeal to a wider audience.

Yea, I wish the emissions of the hybrid Accord were better. I've heard John's comments about the "Primary Purpose" of the Prius is to lower emissions. I've not, previously, publicly challenged that, but I don't think that statement is at all true. I think the "Primary Purpose" (if there is one), is to prove that hybrid technology can be successfully employed in a publically acceptible vehicle and to achieve maximal mileage, minimal emissions, and great functionality. No where, other than John's site, have I seen any statement about the "Primary purpose" of the Prius.

To me, this is a big step. Just like getting hybrid technology into SUVs. In the USA we're not going to be able to make one car that will appeal to or appease all drivers.

The complaint about lumping all hybrids into one is also accurate, for an informed audience like us, but the VAST majority of the public are completely unaware of these nuances and any attempt to describe those in a one page article would be both futile and would detract from the intent of the article. But, if someone who was not well informed on hybrids reads that article, becomes interested, seeks out information they'll likely find those answers and be able to learn about those nuances and other details that "we" take for granted.

Ok, off my soap box. At this point I still see almost any article that is not 'anti-hybrid' as positive for hybrids in general. More and more people know about them every day, but there are still a lot who want to know where you plug them in.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree, most all are positive for hybrids... however, being so vague sets up the audience false expectations and the creation of misconceptions.

Accord-Hybrid has a "power" goal. Prius is different. (And yes, I have info others haven't had. Remember, 4 years ago a few owners had open dialog with 2 of the executives at Toyota. So some of the stuff I'm aware of is very difficult to prove, but nonetheless still part of the original intent that I often recite.)

Reduction of emissions was the primary purpose, #1. Efficiency was somewhere in the top 10. But since the market acceptance of Prius, that priority was bumped up to #2. The fact that the engine still runs at times only for the sake of creating heat for the CAT to use is proof enough that efficiency isn't #1... dang close though.