1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soon to be C owner (maybe) Questions about proper pricing

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Mixedbberies, May 10, 2019.

1. Mixedbberies

Mixedbberies New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all! I've been researching and lurking for some time now, and I am very very close to making my first Prius purchase! I'm quite nervous since this will be my first time buying a car, so I have questions.

1. I'm really in it for the fuel efficiency and longevity the Prius seems to bring to the table. My only concern is that I will be using this car for long distance trips maybe 3 times a year for out of state conventions. The rest of the time will just be within my city. I understand that you get the best mpg during coasting and braking, so I'm concerned that I might be barking up the wrong tree when it comes to fuel efficiency and my choice of car. Should I be looking into something completely different? How does your Prius handle long trips?
    2. I've read lots of posts about the oil burning issues with the 2010-2014 models. Is it as bad as it seems? I have been avoiding models from these years and older because I don't have the extra money to shell out for repairs so soon after purchase. Most if not all models under 2016 are still coming up $8-$13k so I'm having a really hard time figuring out what to do when my budget is $10k sticker price.
    3. I might have jumped the gun on this one, but I can still back out as I have yet to sign official paperwork and hand over money to the dealership. I came across a 2016 pc with a little over 106k miles on the odometer (holy crap yeah I know) for $9.9k. I checked the Carfax and it was in what seems to be a minor accident, only sustaining front right bumper damage. Where I came to see it last week it was still being worked on, but was able to test drive it yesterday. It looks great, besides the pounds of dog hair in the interior, and it runs so smooth and quiet, although I really have no other Prius to go off of. Now after everything I'm looking at 11k out the door after a $500 trade in. This is coming from an actual Toyota dealership, so I at least have that piece of mind. My concern is that I'm getting completely shafted and should run away from the deal immediately. I'm really new to the hybrid world and don't have much to go off of. I just know I really need a car like yesterday and I really enjoyed the Prius c. Also the color is gorgeous
    I'm in panic mode right now because I'm supposed to put down the money and pick up the car in 4 1/2 hours. Reading other comments and articles after we left, and I was so sure everything was fine, has left me worried. Help are gal out?

Sorry if formatting is off.

#1 Mixedbberies, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) c is the city car, so no problems there. highway will return slightly lower, depending on speed

2) not sure about the c engine vs prius. the prelims start around 100,000 miles, and not everyone experiences them. so it depends on how long you want to keep it, and how lucky you are.

3) i would investigate gas savings vs a lower mpg vehicle that might be cheaper to purchase. another concern in az is the hybrid battery.

4) all the best!(y)

3. michael.sfo

michael.sfo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I routinely commute from San Francisco to San Jose, a 45-50 mile trip for which probably 75% is highway. This is not a car for cruising at 80mph (some commenters on other posts on this website have stated that routinely driving at 80mph could lead to engine damage in the long term). This car loves 55mph. For my commuting, I only exceed 70 if I absolutely have to, and usually aim to set the cruise control at 65. I actually get better mileage for my commutes than I do for my trips within the city for shopping or groceries. Maybe it's the hills in the city. This morning, cruising mostly at 65 with a couple of minutes around 55 due to traffic, the computer reported 65.1 mpg for the trip.

Regarding the specific car you found, I don't advise buying cars that have been in accidents, and mistrust dealers who state that any accident was "minor" unless they can provide specifics of what happened and what the damage was. For comparison, I bought a 2015 Prius C 2 with 26,000 miles on it and no accidents, with a Certified Pre-Owned warranty, from the Toyota dealership in Palo Alto in October last year for $15,550. If you are handy with auto maintenance, maybe it's worth it to take a chance on your car's history. Or, if the dealership is offering a Certified Pre-Owned Warranty included in the price they offered, then you can rely on that.

The national average is 15,000 miles per year; for a 2016 car, 100K miles is much higher than the national average. This means that owner drove that car hard. The dealership putting a short time limit on their offer is also a tactic I find questionable.

I understand you need a car fast, but I would encourage you to continue shopping.

4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two