1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soon to be newb

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Equate, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Equate

Equate New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just sold my 1994 Miata, which I've owned since new. A great and fun car, but at 63 years of age, it was getting harder for me to get in and out. I've decided to buy a Prius, and I'm 90% sure I want a 2008 or 2009 hatchback. My son, who lives in LA bought a 2007 Prius about a year ago, and has me convinced to get into a used Prius as we'll.

A couple of questions:

The market for the used 2008/2009 Prii is pretty limited here in Albuquerque, so I've been looking via Cargurus in Phoenix and LA. Is buying a 4 or 5 year old Prius in Phoenix increase the probability of a shorter battery life?

Can I avoid tax and registration fees in AZ or CA if I register the car here in NM after I get back?

I'd like cruise control, Bluetooth, maybe leather, and no Nav. Is that combo possible?

Any other advice is welcome. I'm a couple of weeks away from having the money for the purchase.

Thanks

PS - really enjoying these Prius Chat forums, and will continue to avail myself of their wealth of information.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, and welcome to priuschat. the problem in hot weather areas is, you don't know how the car has been treated. was it garaged in a/c, or 120 degrees? did it sit in the sun at work all day? these things affect longevity of the hybrid battery. i'll leave it to those with experience to advise you, all the best!(y)

3. willyjarom23

willyjarom23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats! Welcome!

4. Equate

Equate New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found a great deal on a on a Package 5 2008 Prius with only 45K miles at Beaver Toyota in Santa Fe, NM. Also bought the Toyota Extended warranty. I've had it for about a week now and am loving it.

I have a question for anyone in my area (Albuquerque, NM) that's had any experience with Albuquerque Hybrids (Jim's Automotive). My philosophy on cars past their new car warranty period is to find someone besides a dealer to do my maintenance and repair. I'd rather deal with someone whose main business is service rather than selling cars.

Any other recommendations for service on hybrids in the Albuquerque area would also be appreciated and welcome. Additionally, I'm thinking about window tinting and would appreciate anyone's experience with Albuquerque window tinters.

Thanks all.