1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soon to be Prius owner (Ontario Canada) - Questions!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fatale, Jul 6, 2006.

1. fatale

fatale New Member

Well I have decided that I can make the plunge. Being the previous owner of a guzzling F150, then a classic austin mini, and then a 3 cylinder geo metro, I have gone through quite the transition and am now hooked on cars that sip fuel and scoff at the gas sucking, ground pounding SUV behemoth's.

So here are the questions - and I am open to any other words one may have to say about the purchase of a Prius in Canada.

I am in Toronto and have found a few dealerships with both new and used model Prius' As you know, sticker shock is a problem here with the base price being $31,000 + canadain.

I have actually been offered (by a dealer) a brand new 06 for around 30k (woo.. i haggled them down 1k). Not that big deal - but $ is $.

1 ) Is it possible to buy and import a prius from the states and actually 'save' some money? I hear that many dealerships will not sell to canadian customers. Other issues? Such as warranty? This is more a question out of curosity - as I imagine its an utter pain in the butt to import new vehicled anyways (I have imported classic cars.. not too bad - but they were classics)

2 ) What should i be wary of at the dealership? I'm going for a base model.. but I also dont want to be suckered into useless plans and such. What do you guys reccomend? I will be buying - not leasing.

3 ) In the case that i can find a used Prius (I have seen a few B packages for 27k w/35,000 km - what do you think of this deal?) do you know if the $2000 rebate still applies (i believe so) and does anyone know if Toyota offeres the Recent Graduate discount of $500 on used vehicled? (this makes up for the higher insurance i will be paying.. haha).

4 ) Should i even consider a used B package Prius with 30-40k on it if its only $3-5 k less then a brand new "A" package? (of course.. i wouldnt have to pay for delivery - thats $1500 on its own too). Am i saving anywhere else afte the sticker price?

5 ) last but not least.. are there any signifigant differences between the 2004-2005-2006 models mechanically or option wise?

Thanks for the help! If all goes to plan, I should be driving by one by next week ;)

Jon

2. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Hello, Fatale.

Those are a lot of questions. :)

I live in Southern California and am not sure how one would go about driving and importing a car from the US to Canada or visa versa.

When we were looking for Prii, we were offered a used 2005, Pkg #7 or #8 for US $27K (Can $30K). The dealer offered to pay for tax and license, about US $3K. That seemed high to me given that a 2006 base model with no options was listed as US $ 21K (Can $23 K). Hence, it appeared that you could get a new Pruis for only slightly more than a used Prius.

We ended up with a new 2006, Pkg #8 for ~ US $30 K (Can $33K), not including tax and license. It is hard to judge what your dealer is offering you with the 2006 since you did not include the package information.

There were a lot of options that I wanted: Aux Input, 6 CD Changer with mp3 capability, back up camera, Navigation system, and Bluetooth. That set my decision.

Good luck, I hope things work out for you.

3. chuckieland

chuckieland New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Jul 6 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]281884[/snapback]</div>
    Just to let you know, i brought my car from Don valley Toyota on May, recieve it in June.
    I chip down the price to $30124, plus Freight. I also get interior protection done for free.
    if you needed, I can recommand you to my car sales agent at Don Valley. he is new, that is why easy to push around ^^, I can even go with you, to see if you can get a better deal then i am ^^

Just tell you the true, I am kicking myself for not taking the Package B upgrade.
    I have the same mentiaty as you, but now........... those are alot of useful features.
    Package C is not in good value, sicne my PDA cellphne can at as GPS aslo.
    I really recommand you take the B upgrade.

another recommand, don't do the rust protection at Toyota, I take my to Honda.
    they have the eletric module rust protection for $700. work better then spray rust protection.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

The Ontario PST rebate does apply to used vehicles, so yes, by all means, do consider a used Prius..

I bought my Classic second hand a couple of years back, and in my case, I really lucked out because it turned out that it was litterally only a couple of months before the hybrid craze set in and demand and prices soared, so I ended up paying the equivalent of what a used Corolla of the same year would have cost.. Not only did I get the tax rebate (it was only $1000 at the time), but 6 months later, the demand for these vehicles shot up and all of a sudden it was worth $4000 more than I paid for it, even now, a couple of years down the line and with many more kms on the clock, I could still break even if I sold it.. The real plus is that my real life combined mileage is 4.8L/100km (yes, this is on a Classic), half what it was on my previous 1990 Corolla (which in the last 4 years of ownership used pretty much exactly 10L/100km all the time no matter where or how I drove or what the season), so in my case, I didn't have to wait years and years to experience savings, I got it all in my first year of ownership and the savings just continue to add up.. In terms of driving experience, it's almost the best car I've ever driven- utterly reliable, the hybrid allows you to drive pretty much any way you want, but its actually much more rewarding drive in a fuel efficient manner and see those mileage bars on the screen.. The "almost" qualifier comes because the car does have noticably variable performance and mileage based on temperature and state of the battery whereas I was used to my old Corolla performing exactly the same under all condtions..

As for mileage, on a Prius, I consider mileage a non-issue.. It is exceptionally gentle on its engine, and the battery management program ensures extremely long battery life.. I've got well over 200,000 km on my Classic now and it's still performing just fine.

I've thought of importing a US vehicle as well- you'd require daytime running lights to be added and documentation certifying that it meets all other Transport Canada regulations, then you'd pay tax and import duty coming over the border.. You'd probably save a few thousand between the sticker price difference and delivery (I assume you'd drive it up yourself), but the one issue might be warranty- although recalls would still be honored (as these are generally safety related), you may be denied regular warranty service..

5. chuckieland

chuckieland New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Jul 6 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]281884[/snapback]</div>
    Jon, just though i add this
    if all you want is base model, then order a package B 2006 Prius. i'll trade with you.
    you take my 2week old 2006 prius base model. and i'll take your New 2006 Prius package B.
    of course, we'll workout a deal that make everybody happy.

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Jul 6 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]281884[/snapback]</div>
    If they want to sell you extras, just say no, repeatedly, until they get the message.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the only thing that would make me consider a 2k4-6 is the Smart Key. It's the only thing I wish my Classic had. It's the reason I'd recommed a used "B" model. Plus you would save the 7-8 thousand over a new B. 25K klicks is just getting it broken in and if it's truly a clean car with no damage history and has a documented service history with the dealer and all the service campaigns are up to date, save your money and buy it.

8. fatale

fatale New Member

Thanks for all the quick input.

I will be heading to a dealerhship today to check out a Black B Package with 35000km on it. Price is $27,000 and I will try to haggle it down a little (maybe a grand if im lucky). Im not too sure if i can get my 'student discount' - but I will try ;)

One thing - Does anyone know if the '05 "B Package" comes with the back up camera? I know the '06 B Package includes it. Neat feature. But more 'bling' then anything for me (i can park anything with wheels) .

Thanks.
    Jon

9. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

What is the exchange rate USD/Canadian $?

I was in Canada a couple days ago and one store gave me $11 cdn for $10 usd($1.10 cdn/usd). Another one gave me $10.50cdn for $10.00usd (1.05cdn/usd).

I'm sure Canadian Retail stores make out well on that deal, but again.. what is the exchange rate if you were to take your $30k cdn and convert to usd?

The internet shows Canadian $ * 0.899685 = usd.

Your 30k cdn is worth about 27k usd.

Can you come to America to buy a Prius... and if so, how much fees do you pay to bring it into Canada and register it?

If you can't buy off the lot in USA, can an American sell you thier slightly used Prius.. I don't know these answers.. but 30k cdn (27k usd) for a base model prius sure seems like a lot.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that's the offical rate, it's what the Bank of Canada pay's on the international market to buy back Canadian dollars. Add about another 3 cents for what the banks charge to sell us USD. Gray market is a warranty boondoggle that no one in their right mind wants to get involved in. The inspection and conversion to Canadain saftey regulations would probably eat up any savings on a Prius as the US dealers charge MSRP or better and dealers up here will probaby let you dicker on the price but I doubt that you could get them to come down a lot. Also to answer the OP on the back up camera, not avalilable on the 2k4-5 as there was no Nav option in Canada on those years. But you can add one with a bit of work.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Jul 6 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]281884[/snapback]</div>
    $1,000 off isn't that bad especially for a car that's still in demand.

1) Yeah it's possible but keep in mind that you'll have to install DRLs and pay import taxes (e.g. a US$15,000 Scion xB ends up costing Cdn$21,000 after all the taxes)

2) Well, just say no to extended warranties, rust proofing and other magical items. You can always purchase an extended warranty later (before your 3yr/60,000km bumper-to-bumper wears out)

3) It's not bad. Here in BC, I saw a 2003 (classic) w/10,000kms for $27k and a few Premium Package 05s for $30k (ouch!). The rebate only applies to new vehicles and yes, you may be able to use the Grad Rebate towards a used car but I'm not sure if it has to be a CPO Toyota or not. Double check with the dealer.

4) Well, I'm currently at 31,000kms on my 05 (1½ old) so yeah, it's nicely broken in. Also, you get quite a bit of equipment in a Pkg "B" including the Smart Key System which you'll want. It also adds Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and side/side curtain airbags as the other two main items.

5) Not really. 2005 saw the addition of the Navigation Package which adds nav and bluetooth.
    2006 saw the addition of bluetooth added to Pkg "B" and a better sounding JBL audio, along with MP3/WMA and AUX Input. A backup camera is added to the "C" package. Outside, there's a chrome grille, new brakelight compound, new headlight compound, HYBRID emblems, direct tyre pressure monitoring system, advanced front airbags, new dashboard material, blue tinted headlight compound, supposedly firmer seats and a lower rear seat (~2cm lower) or so they said. I couldn't tell the difference

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I strongly recommend AGAINST any model that does not have the side air bags and VSC. In Toronto you have winter driving conditions that make VSC worth whatever you have to pay, and the crash test results are enormously improved by the side air bags. Don't compromise on safety.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answers to any of your questions regarding buying a U.S. Prius for use in Canada. I'd be most concerned to find out if the warranty will be valid, and if recall work can be done, should there be a recall that affects U.S. but not Canadian model cars.

13. chuckieland

chuckieland New Member

anyone know where and how i can claim my rebate?
    i ask my toyota agent, they don't know.

14. fatale

fatale New Member

Well im sitting in the customer lounge at Jacksons Toyota in Barrie and have just struck a deal on a low KM (38k) 2004 Prius B package. Its Silver (not my vav) but the price was right. They were asking 29k and worked them down to 26,400 plus my recent graduate rebate of $500. Not too bad if you ask me. The condition is very very good overall.. I was looking at a red 05 - but it had been driven fairly hard and was a bit more pricey (even had higher km.. go figure).

So thanks for the help. I will be on the road soon ;)

Jon - 2004 Silver Prius - B Package

15. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuckieland @ Jul 6 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]282027[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure if that would work very well, since when you "sell" each other cars, the government will expect you each to pay the taxes (~ $4500) on the car again. I sure wouldn't do it... :eek:

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 6 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]282064[/snapback]</div>
    All true... and with respect to the lower back seat, I sat in an '05 when I was shopping back in March in the backseat and checked the headroom. I'm 6'2" and my head was touching the roof. Less than a week later I was sitting in an '06 (which I eventually bought), and my head did not touch the roof in the back. So I can confirm the seat is definitely lower, and almost an inch sounds about right. :)

As for my experience, I am also in Toronto as well and actually bought at Don Valley North as well. (They claim to be the largest Toyota dealer in Canada, and it seems accurate). I had a young rookie sales guy, and I knew more about the car than he did. I basically went in and said I want a 2006 Seaside with C package and they had that exact demo car with 5K KM. I negotiated $2600 off (when the dust settled after a long afternoon), essentially trading some mileage for nav, just a bit higher than the B, signed the papers that afternoon and drove it home 2 days later. She's been golden since and saved me $300 in the first 10 weeks, versus my old Integra, which was quite efficient in it's own right. :)

Interestingly, my sales guy is no longer there. I guess he wasn't that good and got a lucky sale with me walking in at the right time with a car that fit the bill perfectly. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Jul 6 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]282177[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the club. B)

Just curious though - what gave you the idea that the 05 was driven hard? Just overall poor condition in terms of cleanliness, scuffs, etc...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 6 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]282097[/snapback]</div>
    Sound advice, I would say. I agree that if the option is available, then it is worth the relatively small price that could mean the difference between life and death, literally. Many find the nav a gadget - and it is - but I think the B package (with safety equipment, etc...) should really be the lowest car to consider.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 6 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]282097[/snapback]</div>
    Ehhhh... I would really stay away from buying a car strictly to import, Prius or otherwise. I know when I bought my Prius in Canada, they made me sign a form stating that I would not export the car to the USA. Ha ha. ;)

Add to that the headache of warranty support, DRL retrofit, taxes, etc... it just seems like a really big headache for what will probably amount to a small savings once all the paper work, travel, etc... is factored in. I wouldn't do it.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.. I''m 6" and I still touch the roof on an 06 sitting upright with my back against the chair in both cars (mine and the 06 in the dealer).

18. fatale

fatale New Member

Sarge - What gave me the idea that the Red 05 was driven hard were a number of things. One - it had 61,000 km on the clock. That is roughly 2-3x what an average driver puts on in a year (so a lot). Secondly - it had a MILLION chips in the paint, some smaller scratches and scuffs. It also had a dent in the ruunningboard when i furether inspected it. The interior had a few small unsightly scratches too. It just looked as if it was never taken care of. The owenr didnt put in the effort to protect his baby.

The one i picked up was actuall a rental. But had low km, felt very tight, was immaculate in and out. Im guessing this is because the only people renting it, were those who were genuinely curious - and paid a premium to do so.

So i pick it up next week. I can't wait :) Silver may not have been my first choice though.. maybe I will get it painted Lime or some other "look at me" colour once the body warranty is up ;)

Jon

19. chuckieland

chuckieland New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fatale @ Jul 6 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]282257[/snapback]</div>
    i have a silver....so wish you order a 06 silver package B to trade with me :(
    i lease it. so if you lease it too, we can just do take over lease on each other.
    but since you already brought one, congradulation on join the fleet of prius ^^
    now, can any Canadian tell me how to claim the PST tax credit?

20. fatale

fatale New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuckieland @ Jul 6 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]282258[/snapback]</div>

http://www.trd.fin.gov.on.ca/userfiles/pag..._702.pdf?N_ID=3

G'luck! :)