1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soon to beprius owner So Cal Help with price + dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by basicallyevolve, Nov 25, 2010.

1. basicallyevolve

basicallyevolve New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, New member but long time reader here.

I will be finally going into the market to get a prius. I went from a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer evolution 8 MR that i had fixed up to about 500 All wheel horse power and was getting like 6 Mpg on that. I sold that and got a 2003 BMW M5 and i average around 14mpg . Enough is Enough and I like the way the 2010 prius looks so i will be picking one up now and then another when the MY11 comes out. I will hand this one down to my mom and get a nicer one for myself :p .

SO here is my question. I will get roughly 20-21k for my car and dont mind spending a bit to get the prius. I want to get the Prius II or the III depending on price but i do not want to pay over 24ish before taxes. A local dealership here named Bob smith toyota wants 24 grand for a prius II. I feel that price could be better and i dont wanna waste time with the A hole dealerships out here Los Angeles really They are mostly crooks. I read on some other posts where someone said you could get a prius III for 22 grand. Now i dont know if he is right or wrong but can anyone help me by telling me what to expect to pay and if you know any dealerships that will give good prices in so cal? I am in Tujunga but i dont mind driving 200 miles to buy a car.

When i bought my 2005 Evolution the local dealership here wanted 15 grand markup and i turned them down. I went home and called over 20 local dealerships and they all wanted some kind of markup. I had to drive to Santa Maria which was a 168 mile drive to get my evolution at sticker price and will do the same with a prius to save a few hundred bucks and to test drive it on the trip back =)

Any and all help would be appreciated as i am shopping now and will purchase within a week.

Thank you very much

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ebay is your friend. Don't be afraid to negotiate your best deal and fly out to pick it up.

Also, low mileage, Prius can be an excellent value.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search 'dianne' here. all the best!:welcome:

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked cars.com
    http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...Id=20088&alMdId=21751&searchSource=TRAIL_HEAD
    There are a number of dealerships east of the Mississippi that sell P-II's for 19 and a half. Still kinda expensive, but thousands less than the dealership you've quoted.
    I got a written quote when I bought my last vehicle, and tried to use it as a negotiating tool. One local dealership got close, but I still drove 800 miles and saved a LOT of money---even factoring in the costs and my time in going and getting it---which was actually a good little weekend getaway for me and my wife.

Lesson: Shop around.
    A Prius II is a Prius II. (or III...) I've read in this forum where at least one person had traveled to Georgia from the PRC and saved a few thou on the purchase price of their new car.

This car is expensive enough already. Don't pay more for it than you have to! :D

BEST OF LUCK!
    Enjoy the purchase process! You're the customer. It's supposed to be fun!

EDIT: IMPORTANT!!
    1. Get them to program the reverse beeper to single beep before you sign the buyer's order!!!!!
    2. Don't buy an extended warranty from the dealer!! If you're so inclined, you can do that later---and much more cheaply.
    3. Don't by GAP insurance---especially from a dealer or a bank! You can get this coverage from your existing insurance provider. Personally I think that if you need this coverage, then you have no business buying a new car at all, but that's just how I roll...

5. basicallyevolve

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ty very much for the info! I checked Ebay and didnt really see anything stand out in the color i am looking for but i will try other states like ETC stated. Thank you for that extra bit of information too. I will make sure i get it done! Let me see if i can coax my GF into buddying up with me for a drive to another state haha. Cause im in So Cal and to drive back from mississippi alone would not be fun :p

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Dude,

I flew to Fort Worth and drove our first, used Prius 800 miles back to Huntsville. There is a certain amount of fun in the trip alone and that extends beyond the first. Between Russell, Hobbit and a few others, we've learned there is something about driving a Prius cross country is quite enjoyable. But this would be a leap of faith, nearly $20k.

Rather, let me suggest renting a Prius for a weekend and drive it around for a weekend. Risk a hundred dollars or so and see if the Prius matches your expectations. Does it fit? Does it do what you expect?

There have been a few folks who bought a Prius (or kicked the idea around) and then went another way. Given your vehicle history, renting for a weekend would be prudent thing to do.

Bob Wilson

7. basicallyevolve

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OH no :p.

Dont get me wrong. I would gladly drive many miles for a good deal. I was going to drive to baton rouge when i had my Nissan GTR on Pre Order. Also for me a car is a car. I just cant do it this time because my Girlfriends father will also be buying one with me and he said he is only willing to go 200 miles so we are stuck here in California where they Rape you in the price. The one i am getting now will be given to my mom and i will go back and get myself a 2011 Prius 4 with the solar panel and what not. I sat in one at the LA Auto Show and it was a comfortable car. Sure it wont go 0-6 in 3 seconds like my Evolution did but it also get 9 times the MPG :p. I am a college student now and i need to cut back on fruitless spending. I think this will be a very good car for me until i get my Degree and get a stable job to buy fun car for the weekend or whatever. But if you ask me, Every family should own one of these cars as a daily commuter haha :p

8. indyV

indyV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  9. basicallyevolve

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooooo Ty for that link INDYV . That really helps alot. I sent an email to the Owner of that thread and i hope i can work something out there. On a side note does anyone know of any Socal dealerships that Honor KBB on trade ins? KBB says my cars Value is $19-22k depending on condition and the local dealership here at bob smiths says 15K at best. That is just highway robbery. I know Santa Maria will offer KBB value for mine and i hope that Manhattan Beach Toyota can give me the same so that i do not drive 170 miles to get the same thing. These dealerships want to make money off you on the sale of a car ... Take your car and give you a rediculous amount for it and then turn around and make 10 grand off your trade in depending on your car. I know if they take my BMW m5 from me for 15k they will turn around and sell it at their dealership for like 26-30 grand. Damn LA..... Greedy bastards

Thanks guys

10. designeraccd

designeraccd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I must say, even more reasons I'm glad to be LONG GONE from LA! Around here (N. Indiana) a Prius Gen III model II was going for a bit under $22K a couple of weeks ago, counting the $1K kickback from Toyota.

I went to the dealer I got my IV from after test driving, for a weekend the II and finding out at 120.6 miles the seat and my supposedly fixed (3 operations) pinched nerve in my left shoulder did NOT like each other. Gave the car back on Monday. However, the lil thing had impressed me, so went back the following weekend and they gave me the IV to test....237 miles later I bought the car the following Monday a.m. We did, however, agree on my '05 Honda Accord EX-L (V6) trade value on Sat before I started driving the second Prius with the understanding that IF the IV's seat worked for me; I would buy the car. All this was verbal altho they gave me a signed (Sls Mgr) printout of the costs IF I did get the car. Rather doubt many-or any-dealers out there would do this! BTW, I had never purchased a car from them before. I've been driving mostly Hondas since 1988, most purchased from the same dealer @ 5 miles from this Toyota-Ford-Volvo dealership.

Overall, despite having to buy a more expensive model-the ADJUSTABLE LUMBAR made the difference-the dealership's people were pleasant and professional. They made $499 gross plus holdback (@$350+??) and of course should be able to make well over $2K when they sell my sano 47K mile Accord. No hassle nor long distance driving. My car will be serviced there, too. There are 3 Toyota dealers in our metro area versus how many (dozen +) out in LA-Orange Cty? Good luck with your long range search! DFO ;)

11. dctalk523

dctalk523 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    longo toyota in el monte. ask for malik. i got a great deal. good luck.

12. basicallyevolve

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put my car up for sale on Autotrader. I think I will private sell it then go get a Prius. I cant stand these dealerships Wholesale BS. Why does KBB even exist ? or Even edmunds?

Also about that Dianne Whitmire... She is a Grade A Ahole. I went back and forth with her in emails for hours on end to get nowhere. She tells me that KBB is not something any dealership honors and they all go by Wholesale prices. She then tells me to Check Edmunds website to see how much they say my car is worth and guess what? $21,500 bucks just like KBB. So then she turns and wants to be my friend and says "OH ! maybe we can do something, come into my dealership and we can talk about it."

I guess she wanted to sell me an expensive prius. When i told her i wanted a prius II at the prices listed on her thread in the Priuschat forums her attitude changed again and she said " will give you nothing more than 16k for your car.."

Oh the joys of buying cars from stealerships =).

if i can sell this car in 3 weeks add time i will go to the person who was the nicest to me over the phone and via email... and that actually happened to be

Drew Katigbak From Frontier Toyota.

thanks for all your input and info guys.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one man's meat is another man's poison.:rolleyes:

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say the most trusted dealer in this area, as far as newspaper pricing is concerned is Toyota Sunnyvale.

They have been advertising the 2010 II for about $21k give or take a few hundreds for quite some time.

They've listed the III w/ navigation from about $23.7 to $24.6 for several months, and like 20 or more at that price. They sell a lot of Prius'.

$24k for a II these days is a little over the MSRP unless it has some other upgrades.

1 person likes this.
  15. basicallyevolve

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will Look into that dealership. Thank you for the info

16. basicallyevolve

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone is coming to look at my BMW tomorrow :p. And i got 3 other people asking questions and leaving me messages. I hope this car sells soon and i can get my prius =), Going to take my GF to disneyland on the 11th and it would be nice to go in the prius instead of the BMW :p

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Chicks DIG green cars. Oh you already have urself a gf. Well thats no fun! ;)

18. E Street Shuffle

E Street Shuffle Pa-Pa-Pa-Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ha - I'm selling my BMW as well and just picked up my new Prius II this morning :D
    Selling the car yourself is definitely better if you can deal with the hassle. It keeps the dealer experience more focused on new car and you generally get much more $ than if you traded in the car (about $5k difference for me).

19. basicallyevolve

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Im selling mine private right now for 23 k. I have someone who is interested and will look at the car tomorrow. I told him there was room for movement in the price which maybe 22.5 or 22 even depending on the issues raised during the meeting. The Stealership wants to give me 16 k at best LOL? and others said 12-15k. Isnt that just highway robbery? i KNow they will turn around and sell it for 25 themselves, slap a certified sticker on it and all of a sudden its worth it ? lol.

Oh well.

20. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where are you located? I think the post you were talking about for 22k was mine, as that's what I bought my car for.

I got a deal on a Trim III for 22,350, and I got the Nav so that's an extra 2,000 right there. They also gave me way more money for my trade-in then expected. I got the car at Frontier Toyota in Valencia. I don't know how far that is away from you but you may want to send their internet department an e-mail and see if they can match that.

Let me know if you want more information.