1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sorry, I was an embarrasment to Prius owners today.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Mar 26, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, I don't know why I am sharing this, but if we all laugh at me together, I guess I will start feeling better.

During my morning break, I went out to play with my new Scan Guage II. :rolleyes: Specifically, to do a little set up for Fuel = Hybrid and Tank = 8 gallons. Then, I did the Unthinkable. I forgot to push the Prius' HSD Off button. :( And, I generally don't turn off the headlights, because I kind of like the idea of daylight running lights, and the car is smart enough to turn off the lights, IF you are smart enough to turn off the HSD.

I am sure it tried to warn me when I left the car with some "Prius Talk" But I cannot remember all the beep codes. I think the manual has about 20 like beep three times when you forget to turn off the HSD or something similar to Morris Code.

Well, six hours later, it would not start. So I enlisted the help of a friend to jump start the car. I knew it has a separate little starting battery, so I ran ahead to open the hood and start setting up for when my friend pulled around. Much to my dismay, there was nothing that looked like a battery you could jump. so I started feaverishly reading the manual so I could be educated by the time my friend arrived a few seconds later. Thanks to a good index, I was able to find page 457, and a diagram showing the special jumping terminal (Not the battery) inside the fuse box.

My friend arrived as I was struggling to open the approximately four clips on the fuse cover and they are tough ones. I tried releasing them with my key, but I was a little nervous I guess, because I was more worried about the impression I was making. Then my friend tried to open the clips, and I said here, you can try my key, and he was able to open the clips and remove the cover.

Well, inside the cover is a little Red Cover, and inside that is a terminal that looks like a battery terminal but much smaller, and surrounded by plastic barriers to the point you really can't get a good grip on it with regular jumper cable clamp. So right next to that is a silver clip like looking thng that you can get a jumper cable clamp on, so my friend and I both thought, that must be the terminal. We had his car connected for five minutes, and nothing was happening, and I felt bad keeping him there so I encouraged him to go and I would call the dealer for some advice, since the manual does say that it is posible to draw the batteries down low enough that you will need a dealer's expertise to get the car started again.

After my friend left, I went inside and called the dealer who said I should still be able to jump start the car even if the lights were left on for six hours, but the terminal to use was definately the bolt terminal, not the silver blade behind it. (The picture on page 458 or 459 of the manual has an arrow pointing to this terminal, but it is as an angle that could be interpreted as pointing to either, or both.) So I solicited the help of another friend to help me.

Actually, both my helpers were quite nervous about helping out saying "Are you sure your car can be jump started? Isn't that a high voltage battery? It won't hurt my Mercedies, will it?

I promised to take responsibiltiy for any damage, and I really appreciated their help. The second friend was good enough to leave his car connected for 10 minutes, but still, no life in my Prius. He went back inside, and I started putting away the cables and such.

Suddenly I realize, I am so used to the Smart Key System, I don't even bother to check to see if I have them with me. Do I? No, they are gone. This means that even if the car had enough power to start, it would not have been able to. I go inside and start retracing all my steps, as I do this, I beging getting a mental picture in my mind. Now remember earlier, I said I asked my first friend if he would like to use my key to release the clips on the fuse cover? Well I should not have done that.

I left him a message, and he called me back and confirmed he had my keys. And thinking back, he would have had them too far away from my car for it to start when I was attempting the first jump from his car.

You see, I have never really practice trying to start the car wihtout the Smart Key around, so I didn't recognize it as any different than trying to start the car with the Key, but a dead battery.

I am so sorry, I left my freinds with the notion that my car is too high tech for my own good. My wife is now on the way over my 30 mile commute to bring me the other key and we will try the jump a third time. My first frend offered to bring my keys back which would only be 10 miles, but I could not face the prospect that I would still not be able to get the car started and I would still end up having to have my wife come, so I just decided to have her come.

OK, now let's all laugh at me together. :blink: :lol: :huh: ;) :blink: :D <_<

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :blink: :huh: :lol: :eek: :unsure: ;) B)

This could happen to anyone. Thanks for sharing the story. If this ever happens to me, now I know to make sure I got the smart key thing right.

I don't know all the beep codes either, but if it beeps, I definitely check to see what I did wrong. Many times, I had one of the keys inside the car and the other with me (this happens when I go on trips with friends, and let someone have the spare key in case I lose mine. They leave jackets with the key in the car). But the car beeps to let me know. It's really a smart car.

3. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Mar 26 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]412706[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but it also has "Beep Codes" for when you do things right too. Like successfully locking the doors. Well, time to go outside and meet my wife.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    laughter really is the best medicine and the ability to laugh at yourself just confirms that you are doing well.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

go to your local Home Despot or your auto supply store and buy a 10MM deep socket and put it in the glove box. That way if you ever have a dead battery again you just put the socket on the nut on the jumper terminal and hook the jumper cable to the socket. Instant connection. Even Sears stores sell 10MM deep sockets. Probably only cost you 2-4 $ for some peace of mind about being unable to get the jumper cable clip on the terminal.
    oh and nobody is laughing, this is a learning situation that benifits all of us.

verdeeyes likes this.
  6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That tab of metal behind the threaded post *IS* part of the main
    positive terminal, and you are free to clamp down on that just as
    well as the threaded stud itself. That whole little block of
    metal is (+), but don't wander too far down along it or you'll be
    on the wrong side of one of the main fuses.
    _H*

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't feel so bad having a package #1 with no smart key now.

8. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Chill, NoMo. You're strong enough to tell the story, you're defintiely strong enough to handle it.
    Besides, it's a good story, you'll get a lot of miles on it. :)

9. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 26 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]412718[/snapback]</div>
    This will reinforce your #1 package feelings. And if you don't get a huge kick out of all the electronic gizmos, believe me, I wholeheartedly agree, you can save your money for whatever floats your boat. :)

[Paul Harvey Moded ON]
    Here is THE REST OF THE STORY.
    My wife came to recue me with the second smart key at around 8:25 PM.

My Prius still would not start, so I connected the jumper cables from my wife's Dodge Caravan to Lighning, and we waited together for about 10 minutes for the Van to transfer some charge to the Prius. It was a great time to talk and sip coffee together.

After 10 minutes, Lightning still would not start. But I got the idea to try putting the Smart Key in the Smart Key receptacle in the dash. Then, he started right up. So I figured that the Smart Key systems must need a full charge, and we drove our cars home the 30 miles of my commute.

I decided to stop and top off the tank to that I can calibrate my Scan Guage II sooner at the next fill up. It only look about 2 gallons. Then when I went to start up again, nothing. I put the Smart Key in the Dash and he fired right up agian. When I got home, I tried to lock the doors by pushing the button on the outside of the door, and that doesn't work either.

My Conclusion = I drained the battery to the point that the Smart Key System got Out of Sync or lost their programming. It is about time for the first Oil Change, so I guess I'll take him in to the dealer tomorrow, and see if they can easily fix the keys. If they want to charge me a bunch, then I think I will search around here first, because I am pretty sure I have seen the instructions for syncing up the keys.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

check and make sure you haven't pushed in the SKS dissable button under the steering wheel.

11. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Mar 26 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]412769[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you Frank. That was it. Wow am I glad that we have Senior Posters around here!

I must have hit that little button when I was feeling around without looking down there to find the OBD II connector to plug in the Scan Guage II. I guess someone with a loaded Prius should think to use something as low tech as a flashlight properly. As a matter of fact, in checking out your advice regarding the SKS Disable button, I again felt around in the dark, and I think I have reset my Tire Pressure indicatior in the process, which was something I have been meaning to do since I increased the tire pressuer to 40 / 42 PSI. So in short, It's all good! And I will sleep beter tonight now.

I was feeling a little dismayed that there wasn't a Prius Emergency Room, or at least an Urgent Care Center I could take Lightning to. I guess Prius Chat fulfills that need very well. ;)

12. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 26 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]412699[/snapback]</div>
    If you left the HSD on, wouldn't it start up and charge the battery when it got low?

Maybe you turned it off, but never opened the door, which is what turns off my lights. Maybe the door was already open or you got out the passenger side when you turned it off?

13. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ Mar 27 2007, 12:01 AM) [snapback]412779[/snapback]</div>
    Good points,
    It might be worth it to figure out how this works. I thought if you turn off the HSD, the lights would follow. Have never noticed that being tied to closing the driver's door, but I am not saying that is how it is.

I did walk away with the Smart Key, but I may have already inadvertantly turned that off too.

WOW! I just had a REVELATION!
    Perhaps I never left anything on. Maybe I just accedently turned off the SKS like Frank said.

One of the things my helpers and I noticed was that the connecting the Jumper Cables did not seem to pull down the other car's alternator at all. Normally, when you connect a car to jump a discharged battery, you can hear the alternator load down. Didn't happen.

Well, in the end, I guess I learned a bunch today.

14. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 27 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]412789[/snapback]</div>
    When I went to the dealership to look for my Prius (waiting list, finally got the call) it had a dead battery and would not unlock or "boot up." I had already been reading this site for a while at that point so I actually had the opportunity to teach the sales guy how to jump the Prius... The reason the alternator in the other car did not load up is because the Prius' little aux-battery is not exposed to a large current drain like that of a normal vehicle during startup. All it has to do is close a few relays and start up the computers.

Typically, you'd connect the jumper cables under the hood and leave it alone for about a minute. (other vehicle on or not is optional in my experience) At that point the battery will have taken enough charge to do its job so you can disconnect them and then boot the Prius up.

Oh I should add that the way the battery died at the dealership. Someone left the rear hatch ajar juuuust slightly which kept the interior courtesy light on - draining the battery. It seems possible that something similar could have happened to yours.

15. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 27 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]412789[/snapback]</div>
    I just had that same thought as I was reading over this thread. I'll bet that was it all along. Now don't you really feel silly? :lol:

I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I ever find myself in the same boat. Seems obvious in retrospect, but I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of it either.

16. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I was raised on a farm where we jumpstarted pickups, combines, tractors, you name it, I've jump started it.

Going into the Prius purchase, I knew about the 'post' and when game time came for me to jumpstart my wife's car with the prius in the parking lot of a stadium in Chicagoland, I was a bit disappointed in the Prius. It's not made to jumpstart or be jumpstarted, so avoid doing so if at all possible.

I find that you really don't get much juice into the cables with the whole 'post in the fuse box' like you do on a conventional system where you hook cables to battery posts.

What did you hook the - side of the cables to? Did you find that clearly spelled out in the book?

I didn't. It was smokin hot out that day and I was trying to be a good boy and not fry the electronics in the Prius, but in my scanning the manual, I recall seeing the red post for the (+) terminal to be hooked to, but not much about where to hook the (-) to.

I think next time, I'd be more prone to opening up the hatchback, pop open the battery compartment and jump to the battery directly.

Glad you finally got home. I wonder if you had any actual battery drainage at all, or if it was only the sks being turned off.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great story. That's what happens with these sort of screw ups: you make one little mistake, then compound it with a series of additional screw ups after you get flustered. It's why people end up calling a service tech to come out and plug in their computer. I've seen some unbelievable ones, and done a few myself. Tell your friends, have a good laugh, and chalk it all up to experience.

Tom

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love this story! Accidentally pushing the SKS button and then continually compounding the problem is exactly how I do things. :D

19. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, that really was good for a laugh. Well played, NoMo! After your third post I was pretty sure you had turned off SKS, and it sounds like that's the consensus.

So, the lesson for all of us: If the car doesn't start, check that SKS switch. If that doesn't work, put the key fob in the dash and try again. If that doesn't work, seek help.

Regarding all the various beeps, there's really only one beep that means "I've successfully locked my doors," and anything else should make you stop in your tracks. One trick that I picked up in another thread is to lock the doors with the smart button, and then within 3 seconds try opening the door again. If it doesn't open, move along. If it does, then you look for either power still on or key left in the car or whatnot.

20. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good story. You can check Scan Gauge to see the voltage in your aux battery.