1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound deadener??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kentricho, Jun 29, 2006.

1. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there,

I'm from Australia and I just bought my 2006 iTech Prius in Ebony (fancy name for Black)

The aftermarket lady came along and asked if I wanted to get Rust protection and sound deadener added to the car...

She said (and the website claims) that "Ming Sound Deadener" will reduce the sound of the wheels on the road by 60%.

Has anyone had any experience with sound deadener at all? I really want to know whether it's worth the extra money or if it's just a joke, useless and not worth the extra $$

Thanks,
    Kent

2. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    it's a joke, a standard practice among dealers to up the price of the vehicle by pushing useless crap.

Rust Protection: Most cars have 10 year rust warranty...and they don't rust anyway!! Have you ever seen a car rust? (I mean, in the last 10-15 years of models)

3. andreaswin

andreaswin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Jun 29 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]278555[/snapback]</div>

well several new cars do rust ... but the climate is a big factor..... mercedes has alot of problems in last few years with rust in dors and stuff in norway,, other brands aswell .. but main reason is the winter here. In and near larger cities and main roads they often use salt. this make the rust danger bigger...

but in a more unsalty less vinter climate it shouldnt be much to worry about

andreas .-)

4. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Tassie and my 06 I-tech does not have rust protection or sound proofing. Unlike cars of old, the Prius has many parts made of plastic, which don't rust. That is not to say the parts that are steel will not rust in time. I have not had any rust problems with cars in the last 10 years, so forget rust proofing.
    Road and engine noise is not a problem. My Prius is no noisier than the Commodore it replaced.
    Just enjoy the car, the driving experience, and the company of those in this forum.

5. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

After driving my 1974 VW SuperBeatle for 20 years, my Prius is absolutely silent. :blink:

I do not hear a lot of noise from the tires, so I would get the "sound deadener" is useless.

There is a lot of sound if you open the back windows while driving. I doubt the SD will do anything for that.

Save your cash, would be my recommendation.

:)

6. if you want rust protection, you can do it yourself for probally cheaper than it would be at the dealership. look at my sig and you can get the kit on amazon.

...i am adding sound deadener myself too. i have only done the front doors and have noticed a SLIGHT difference and plan on doing the floor.

personally, i like the idea of sound deadening because it really adds a level of comfort and lets you drive a little more relaxed without some road drone. if you can't tell my answer to you would be yes on all these, but i would atleast look at doing the rust protection for yourself, it took me about 2 or 3 hours to do. these also add value to the car and gives you some leverage kinda... cars get louder when they get older, and keeping on old car quiet is a good idea... if i would have had the money i would have added BOTH to my car...

..but the dealership is going to charge alot of money for it.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do not pay for sound deadener. It is a scam. It puts a barrier under the car, but sound is still transmitted through the car and around the car. And it can actually increase the liklihood of rust, as any imperfection in the application can create pockets that collect and hold water.

Do not pay for rust protection. The factory rust protection is better than anything any dealer could apply.