1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sound deadening sheets vs electric window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tochatihu, Oct 3, 2006.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some others here have put sound deadening sheets in their Prius. I used parts express #268-010 under the hood and in front doors in 2001 Prius. Two years ago, maybe 3.

Now, the driver's window got really reluctant to operate and I took off the inside panel again for a look see. Some of the self-adhesive sheets had fallen off and were blocking the window motion. Removed the offenders and now function OK. But it is what I will be looking for in the future if the windows go flaky again.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, not all sound deadening materials are the same. I looked into this a while ago, and found a great website (which i can't find now, of course). In it, the author performed a great experiment where he purchased 10+ different types of material and put them to the test. he cut strips of it and stuck it to metal sheets, times how long it took to peal up (along with pictures) under room conditions (he didn't really rub it in). Then, he spent the time to secure it and follow all directions. this time, he stuck it in his oven (vertically) and turned it on to like 200F (similar to what a car has during the summer). Recorded the results in 15 minute incriments over the next day. he then did the same thing with alternating heating a cooling (both by just turning the oven on and off, and by taking it out and sticking it in the freezer).

His final results showed that this sort of treatment cause some of the brands/products to fall off practically imediately, and only one or two products out there (the most expensive ones, of course) actually stayed like they were supposed to.

My guess is the material you used wasn't the super expensive stuff he showed worked very well, and the adhesive properties of it were simply degrading with time.

3. kDB

kDB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 3 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]327519[/snapback]</div>
    i assume you are talking about this site: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

4. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Oct 3 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]327645[/snapback]</div>
    That is a tremendous resource. I went with Cascade all around - doors, trunk and speaker kits. Now we will see how it does during a Maine winter without a garage.