1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound Engineer Question - Weighted A or C to check noise in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Free One, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Free One

Free One New Member

I picked up a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter to see if I can objectively track changes in my Prius's road noise level as I continue to add sound deadening.

I noticed that when I use the "Weighted A" setting (the freq response range of A is 500 - 10,000 Hz) for measuring the sound level, it's not too bad: 73 db or so as I drive up I-5 with my current configuration of sound deadening, while the same stretch of road measured in the "Weighted C" freq response range (32-10,000 Hz) comes in around 92 db, which is a huge jump.

My questions:
    How much am I really "hearing" in the 32-500 db range that seems to be so much louder?
    Which weighting is best if I want to measure the kind of noise that creates more fatigue?
    What kind of sound deadening works best for the "percievably loudest" part of the spectrum in my measurements?

Thanks!

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're measuring noise to see how it impacts on humans, use A weighting. That's what's used when measuring noise pollution, or whatever. It applies weighting to indicate how loud it seems to humans.

If you're trying to calibrate audio equipment levels, you use C weighting.

I suspect C is showing higher because of lots of very low frequency rumble, which humans don't perceive that well. For your purposes, you want to compare A readouts.

3. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes..."A" corresponds more to the way we hear.