1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sound from front left with each rotation of tire

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dk_brookdale, Feb 10, 2022.

1. dk_brookdale

dk_brookdale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For the past week or so I've been hearing a rubbing/scruffing sound from front left wheel area that repeats with each rotation of the wheel. I'm not sure what this is or what's causing it. I have checked multiple times for objects stuck in the treads but have found nothing (the sound repeats in the same way as that). I had a front brake job a few months ago so could be related to that. Any suggestions on what to check for?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Brake pad drag (check slider pins and lubrication), wheel bearing, tire tread separation, loose or missing lug nut(s).

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you check the inside sidewall for bulges that might rub the suspension components/strut?

REVVL V+ 5G ?

Air_Boss likes this.
  4. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I took that front left tire off and inspected it closely and did not find any problems with sidewalls or treads.

5. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OK, thanks. I took wheel off. No problem with tread separation or loose lug nuts. I cannot say whether there is problem with brake pad drag because I did not take slider pins out. Superficial visual check of rotors and pads did not reveal any obvious problems. I recorded an audio file of the repeating rubbing sound made (but unfortunately this forum won't let me upload audio files).

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Taking the slide pins out would be a more indirect way to check for drag, anyway, than just rotating the hub and feeling/listening for the sound.

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That was my intention when I took the wheel off - to rotate the hub and listen for the sound. But when I tried to do that the hub would not rotate. Evidently the brake was engaged. So I considered getting in the car and turning on the engine and putting it in neutral. But I did not do that because I did not trust the jack stands I had in place.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If the CV joint boot had failed you would have noticed grease all over when you removed the tire...

Air_Boss likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, to be able to turn one hub, you must either be in neutral, or also have the other hub off the ground.

(If you're not in neutral, the other hub will turn in the direction opposite your turning of this hub ... and that makes the turning more difficult, and might complicate figuring out where any extra resistance really is.)

dk_brookdale and Air_Boss like this.
  10. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, the CV joint boot have failed on both left and right. But that happened some time ago and the grease seem to have dissipated.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If grease has dissipated, the CV joints are now dry and wearing metal on metal.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It's possible that whoever replaced the boots didn't add enough grease (or worst case, none at all)...

13. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have not had the repair done yet. The auto repair shop said that they didn't want just to replace the boot. They said they wanted to replace the entire shaft assembly and more on both sides and quoted about $3000 for the job.

14. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    An update on the left front end noise problem. First of all, I mistakenly said the torn boot was on the CV joint. It is not, the torn boot is on the strut (both sides). I believe the CV joint is ok and that the problem is with the wheel bearing.

Here's what I did - with the front end up on jack stands, and the back tires blocked and the car in neutral I spun the left front wheel in the forward direction and did hear the intermittent noise. I did not hear that same noise on the right front wheel. I also checked for play on the wheel but did not notice that.

So, I'm going under the assumption that the left front wheel bearing is going bad and needs to be replaced. Do you agree?

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was the left front brake pad dragging?

16. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After I first started hearing that sound I brought the Prius to the tire shop where I had brake work done to see if the brakes were the problem. They said that it was not a brake issue although they did not say exactly what they checked for. And they did not say what the exact cause is. But they did say it would cost $160 to find out from them.

When I had the Prius up on jackstands checking for the problem about all that I could tell was that there was a scuffing/rubbing sound with each rotation. But I could not determine the source of the sound, it was not obvious to me. I didn't take the wheel off so I didn't have easy access to the brakes. And I didn't know exactly how to check for brake pad dragging :cool: