1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound Quality Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rob_, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Rob_

Rob_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the process of designing and installing a killer SQ install in my 2011 package II. It will hopefully be the best one I've done so far(I've had a few so far)

My goals for this system are to retain a stock appearance aside from the headunit, keep the weight down and low in the vehicle, have great imaging and a soundstage out on the hood and have great up front bass impact.

Thankfully the Prius is setup perfectly for what I want to accomplish. The speaker openings in the dash are way out there and should help push the soundstage out on the hood, and they are big enough to house a 3" driver.

The front doors use the same speaker setup as the 05 Tacoma I had which will allow the use of a midbass speaker up to 8".

The other great thing about the Prius is that there is a lot of room under the front seats. A shallow sub and enclosure should fit no problem.

The headunit I am using is the Pioneer Deh-p880prs. It has 3 way crossovers, dual 16 band parametric eq's, time alignment 24bit burr brown Dac's and much more.

In the dash I am going to install H-Audio XR3M's. These are 3" full range drivers that play flat up to 20khz, so no tweeter is needed. They also are clean down to 200-300hz, right where the vocal range starts. This means that all vocals, mid range and the highs are coming from one source-up on the dash. This is important because you are not splitting vocal ranges between a mid down low and a tweeter up high. This will result in better representation of the vocals and it makes tuning much easier.

In the doors I will be installing a set of 7" Usher Audio 8945p's since I already have them and they are great mids, but I am most likely going to install a set of 8" midbass drivers after I pick out a set.

The entire vehicle will be deadened using Raamat BxtII, which is an Butyl Based deadener similar to Dynamat Extreme but costs a lot less.

On top of the deadener will be a layer of Ensolite closed cell foam decoupling a layer of MLV-Mass Loaded Vinyl. The mass loaded vinyl is used for blocking road noise, the closed cell foam absorbs road noise frequencies and also works to buffer two hard surfaces from rattling.

Under the front driver seats I plan to install two 12" Stereo Integrity BM MKIV's. These are known as the best shallow subs you can get. I haven't seen a review on these subs that has had any negativity.

Powering the whole system is my Audison LRx5.1k 5 channel amp. This amp has a class a biased front channel section, and class ab rear and sub channels.

The front channels will send the H-Audio fullrange drivers 70 watts rms. The rear channels will send the midbass drivers 160 watts rms and the subs will get about 500-550 watts rms each.

All the crossover points will be handled by the Pioneer headunit. I'll start the tuning at 315hz and up for the xr3m's. The midbass will be crossed over from 60 to 315 hz and the subs will play from 60hz and down.

I'll take pics of each step of the process as it occurs. The first step is sound proofing and running wires. Hoping to get the Raamat sometime next week.

Stay tuned...

2. Sheon

Sheon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Looking forward to this I'm also doing a sq setup I want a high end deck like ur getting but I need nav so I'll have to stick with the avic z130bt

3. Rob_

Rob_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I was going To use a navi deck I would get the JBL MS-8 to handle all the processing.

May go that way in the future myself too.

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you considered the new Hybrid Audio L3SE's in the dash? That's what I've been looking into, although they're a little spendy. I think the BM-MKIV's are going to be a tight squeeze under the front seats....how are you going to craft them? (MDF/fiberglass?) When are those subs supposed to be available? I was considering a pair for another vehicle.

5. Rob_

Rob_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I checked those out too, they look good. I think the xr3m's may have a bit more response above 16khz, would be nice to compare but I think I'll be happy with them. The BM MKIV's are supposed to be out late spring-early summer. I'll probably use another shallow sub until they come out.

I'd like the enclosure to be all birch to help keep the weight down.

6. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow...now, this system really sounds good!! Please take pics of the install! Very impressive stuff!

BTW, how much are those hybrid audio speakers??

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Legatia L3SE Speaker Set - 12v Electronics
    ....as I said, a little spendy.

8. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Indeed...but if it is good, then i don't fault him...i have spent around $1000 in speakers in the past for some MB Quart Q (back then, no QSD) and Diamond Audio Hex (back then, no internet, so you gotta suck up the price at local dealers). If these speakers live up to the expectations, then i would go for it...why not? Spending on crappier products will be even more wasteful IMO. My theory is that, if i am going to put effort into something, then i go for the best. In the past, i have went cheap and i paid for it...and eventually, had to spend top dollar for the top product.

Despite past posts, i am not against aftermarket stereo...i just encourage people to do it right...and not cut corners, thinking that they can save a buck or two....

9. Rob_

Rob_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Decided to use the Alpine SWR-T10 subs instead of the SI's. After measuring the area again I dont think it's possible to get 12's under the seats.

I found an underseat enclosure from Dimension audio on eBay that they can make a 1/2" shallower for 60 dollars shipped each. I'm going to order one and see if it'll fit.

I asked Mr Marv out of Monterey Ca to make me some baffles for the front doors. One for my Usher 8945p and one for the mounting diameter of a Dayton rs225-4. Both baffles are 1.25" thick.

My XR3M's arrived, I'll get some pics up later.