1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sound System on Prius? Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ivan Garcia, May 22, 2013.

1. Ivan Garcia

Ivan Garcia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello Prius owners!

I am new to forums, so I am not sure if I am submitting this at the right place.
    I just bought my Prius about 2 months ago, and I can not express how much I love it!

My car has that JBL speaker package and it sounds great, however, I am one of those people who love to pump the music all the way up (ROCK ALL THE WAY! I do put my windows up for the most possible courtesy to other drivers), and I am obsessed with louder and more powerful music.

I want to install bass sound system in my Prius, but I want to know how much will it affect it. I bought 3 subwoofers that will be running a total of 1500w RMS (continuous power). Is this too much power to put on a Prius generator? How much will this affect my MPG? I also want to add an amp battery for support, here is the battery I want to add: Shuriken SK-BT80 (80 hour amp). You can Google the name and it will come out.
    This battery will be connected to the amps and the 12V battery on the back of the Prius.

Thank you for your time on reading this.
    I say PRIUS, you say WOOT.
    PRIUS!...

2. Smee342

Smee342 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well im running 2 8in subs 400watt each with a 800 watt 2 channel amp, i bought off amazon. great little speakers. and its loud, i wont lie. ive put other cars to shame already.

since you have the jbl package. its even easier then you think to get all that hooked up. i will say i think 3 subs would be a bit much. what size are you going to be using ?

my mpg havent taken a hit at all with the system. i have thought about putting in a capacitor for my amp but honestly i havent run in to any issues of mpg loss or battery life loss yet.

welcome to prius chat by the way.

3. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    putting 1500 RMS into a prius, well I hope the seams don't split, it is a tin can, a 100watt rms would do you fine and keeping your eardrums an octave away from bleeding. I do carry a boat air horn can in my front seat for the loud noise from other cars at stop signs, I get some odd looks when a driver gets ear full from the can. Its like Wth old man whats your problem, I just pretend I have ear deafness.