1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sound system woes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dzoutzidis, Sep 12, 2006.

1. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

Hello everybody. I bought a 2006 Toyota Prius back in February some time and my one complaint about the car is that the sound system isn't up to my standards. I got the basic Canadian package so I can't really complain about what I got but the problem is that nobody seems to be able to upgrade the sound system for me! I can't find any deck kits for the car, or any IPOD integration type kit. I did find one that would work for a 2004-2005 but apparently it won't do the 2006 for some odd reason.

Basically I want to be able to play mp3s in my car. I'm not a fan of continuously having to change cds all the time. I've got a VERY large music collection and it'd be great if I could just have it all at my fingertips, or if not, at least be able to burn the ones I do have to mp3 format so I can stick more than 15 songs on one CD.

I also wouldn't mind installing a new Sub-Woofer, new speakers and an external amp for each although I might end up busting the bank....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately for the '06 there aren't many choices yet. For iPod integration, many people have have used either http://www.densionusa.com/dice_prod_info.php or http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html.

The Dice (first link) is currently only available for pre-'06, so you would have to wait for it. The Vais (second link) is available for the '06, so you could get it now. There aren't many differences between the two, so which one you get is really up to you... the Vais is more expensive, but you can get it now.

Additionally, there is the option of getting a FM transmitter for the iPod. essentially, it transmits the iPod's output as an FM station, allowing the radio to pick it up. It is prone to interference, however, and for this reason many people don't like it. There are a slew of these available online, and finding one shouldn't be a problem. For my previous car, i had found one that plugged into the cigarette lighter and had a cradel coming off that which the iPod slipped into when you were in the car. pretty slick, and it had a line out for when i dug behind the radio and hacked that together.

If you want to replace the factory unit, several people have done that/added a second one below it, so i'll let them chime in about whats available. Alternatively, you can give the guys at www.crutchfield.com a call and see what they have to say. they haven't researched the Prius yet, however if you're willing to disassemble the dash and do some measurements they'll be able to give a list of stereos that fit in those measurements and help you out.

If you search the forums here, you'll find more information that you ever wanted to know about adding subs and amps and new speakers.

happy hunting!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang lol. Cause the JBL audio on the Pkg "B" will allow MP3 CDs and has a CD Changer so that might've helped.

Hmm.. in terms of speakers, lotsa here have installed the Infinity Kappas (not sure which specific model). Presto is one of those who upgraded the speakers and added amps.

Subwoofers.. for the quickest solution, try the Bazooka BTA6100 (comes with a built-in amp). Check out this link for a review + installation

http://www.lacar.com/modules.php?name=News...cle&sid=392

I have an 05 so i was able to use the DICE integration kit and it works fairly well. Hopefully they can get it working for the 06 soon.

4. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 12 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]318317[/snapback]</div>
    I'm holding out hope for Dice, but i'm also eyeing Vais's iPod+Video kit, which is supposed to come out this fall... if they beat Dice or are relatively close (time wise), then it's going to be a tough battle between my frugal side and my desire to do more with the car...

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 12 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]318317[/snapback]</div>

Looks like the 8100 is out now... kink to 8100

It appears the 8100 has an 8 inch speaker as the 6100 has the 6.5 inch.. both are 100 watts,... the 6200 has 200 watts and has a cvariable adjustable rossover from 80 - 250 hz.

Was wondering how hard the wiring is.... is this something to order online and install yourself, or should one have them do it?
    Looks like 56.00 bucks for circuit city to put it in is probrably worth it.

I always recommend the optional control to adjust the bass output from the dash...seems its different with each song and with your mood... especially if your not a morning person and your last song the night before was blasting!

6. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

Thanks guys. I've looked into the DICE but apparently it won't work with the 2006 yet. I'll check out that VAIS though. Kappas hunh? Sounds like a plan although I've been told you've got to upgrade your amp before you'll notice any difference with new speakers. I'll try to more thoroughly search this forum and maybe I'll ask Presto about what he/she did after that if I'm still confused.

I saw the Bazooka installation link before but I don't really like having a sub blocking my trunk like that, although you can remove it, I think it'd get in the way too much and be annoying. I actually did see one installation where a custom box was made for it that stuck nicely in the corner of the trunk just behind the right wheel well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 12 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]318317[/snapback]</div>

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Sep 12 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]318353[/snapback]</div>
    Gee, taht wouldn't be my install, would it? I had a guide with tons of pictures on here, but when the server got hacked a few weeks ago it was lost, and i haven't been able to get it off the computer i wrote it on yet (that computer had some hardware problems and i haven't had time to fix it yet). with any luck i'll be able to get around to fetching that guide and reposting it here sometime this week, but we'll have to see what my schedule is like.

8. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With the basic package, you should notice a difference right away with a speaker upgrade. There is no replacement for an amp, but if you want to upgrade your system one piece at a time, the speakers are a good place to start. Unfortunately, I have no experience with integrating an iPod. Last year, I helped my cousin install a simple AUXBOX, and that is working pretty nicely for his setup.

9. kDB

kDB New Member

i agree, the kappa themselves make a huge difference. i installed four 63.7i's in the doors and a pair of 10.7t's to replace the tweeters. i also installed a 7541a amplifier. i tested just the speakers first, and they sound good, but just didn't get the stereo as loud as i wanted. i like it really loud. and with the amp, no need for a subwoofer.

as for the mp3 player, i went with a 10 disc mp3/cd changer in the console. hooked it up through the fm antenna. i'm starting to think an mp3 player would have been a better idea. it may cost a little more, but you can get more space, and use it in other places too.

this was in a 2005 with the base stereo.

10. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Check this out. I bought one today after researching options

http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

Costal Tech - Pruis Ipod Adapter with contols

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Sep 13 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]318869[/snapback]</div>

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue-Adept @ Sep 13 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]318972[/snapback]</div>

Nice link.. I didn't know that was avail yet... unfortunately, I don't see the 06 prius in the list.
    I wonder whats the big deal with the 06 prius?.... is it uncrackable or something?

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Sep 13 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]318994[/snapback]</div>
    Welllllll, one of the reasons is that Coastal's NAV override is a macro of the override workaround that you can do on the 2005. If it connected to the purple speed sensor wire and electronically "cut" it for, say 1 minute, that would be different.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 13 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]319002[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't been keeping up with the latest on the cracks.. thanks for the info...

this sounds like companys I have seen that compile programs into a package "that are free" and sell the package as a DVD copying tool. No new technology, just packaging.

but thats ok for those who want the package, as long as they know what they are getting.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Sep 13 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]319019[/snapback]</div>
    The sad thing was back in April 2005 (and even before that), Coastal had a video on their site (dated 11/04) which showed the NAV override in operation when you pressed the DEST button. What you saw was like someone cut the wire. Buttons were greyed out and fully operational about a second later. That's what I expected when I got the NAV kit in January 2006. What I saw was the software override workaround that I had been doing since I learned it in July 2005; I just didn't have to do it myself. Ah well, I take it as one of the reasons it took so long, they couldn't get the prototype to be easy to install.

15. dzoutzidis

dzoutzidis New Member

So then from what I gather my only real option for good quality mp3 playing is to use the VAIS IPOD integration system. Can't find any other one that's compatible with the 2006 for some odd reason. It's $300US and I'd have to buy an IPOD too.... kinda expensive but probably worth it. I'll also probably start by upgrading the speakers to see if that satisfies me. Now I just have to wait for the next paycheck or two... ;)

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, as of today (apparently) the Dice may be 2006 compatible. In another thread on here, Danny says they're looking for some beta testers in the So-Cal area to install them this week, and hopefully start selling next week. The plus for them is in the price...