1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sounder for EV mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 1980s_john, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 1980s_john

1980s_john Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've read about the concerns of some groups for the risk to blind people (or to careless pedestrians or cyclists) from near-silent electric vehicles.

My thought would be to have a sounder device that worked only in EV mode, and mutes whenever the petrol engine runs or the car is stationary. Personally I would prefer to have a car that emitted the sound of a Rolls-Royce Phantom V12. These are very quiet cars so the sound would not cause annoyance. The suggestion of beepers is just silly and counter to environmental needs, just imagine the annoyance to neighbours of early morning starts or returning late at night, and also think of the racket four cars with slightly different beepers would cause! Any sounder needs to produce noise with no rhythm or precise tone, so that multiple sources sound similar to a single source (just like non-EV traffic noise).

Can such a device be bought currently?

Regards,
    John

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I need a noise maker I want train horns!!

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe a really loud audio system, with an outside speaker, playing a recording of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle (without mufflers) would make them happy?

1 person likes this.
  4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What? Did someone say something? I can't hear over all this noise!

5. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This seems to come up every once in awhile (even in congress). It is a pet peeve of mine. For years people have complained about the noise of traffic and just when we are on the cusp of solving that problem people have to go and spoil it. Before we start this madness lets make all the bicycles in the world have noise makers first. I have been hit/almost hit by way more bikes. In fact lets put noise makers on all the pedestrians so the car owners can hear them and don't hit them. Come on people why does someone always have to ruin a good thing.

G

6. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone stopped on a quiet sidewalk to hear a prius drive by on EV mode? I did, and with the Prius at 15 MPH the tires on the road, mechanics of suspension/drivetrain, etc. it makes more than enough noise. You HEAR IT COMING. Sure it ain't a V8 HEMI rumbling the street up, but it is not 100% quiet as some imply.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are circumstances where the car isn't quite silent. The inverter makes a high pitched "sound" in operation. I've heard the same on Hybrid Highlanders and the Hybrid Camry. The Gen III inverter sound is a bit more notable (to me). If I had to compare, I'd say the base frequency of this noise is about 3kHz.

Also, if A/C is on, you'll hear the compressor cycling or running and likely cooling fans as well.