1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soundgate VIDTOYO1 installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hawkjm73, Oct 23, 2005.

1. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I have finally installed my video converter and rearview camera. I found this process to be much longer then I would have liked, but a good part of that was routing the wire from the camera. On my coverter harness, the wires that are from pin 5 and 10 on the center nav harness were supposed to pass through but were switched. When I powered it up, I got a LAN error for the nav. Those two wires were the communication lines between the nav and the LAN. Sooo... anyone installing these is recomended to have at least the pinouts for the nav handy to check the harness wiring. I was able to cut and resoder them so evry thing works. Haven't done secondary video yet, but the rearview works great and switches in reverse. I've run out of motivation for today, but I'll try to get photos tomorrow.

2. slortz

slortz New Member

I'm anxious to see how well this VIDTOYO product works. Like many others I'm about to give up hope on ever receiving the Coastal ViewTech thing which would be my first choice. :(
    I'm wondering if there will be a conflict with installing this device and the VAIS AIC-100i which I already have installed, since both plug into existing factory connectors.
    I already have my DVD player installed in the dash and a monitor for the backseats but it is difficult to know what buttons to press on the remote if you can't see the menu screen for the DVD. Being able to bring up the DVD signal briefly on the MFD to get the movies rolling for the kids in the back is mostly what I would use it the VIDTOYO for.
    Anyway, awaiting your pictures and overall evaluation.

3. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Haven't had any free time and daylight together yet, but I should tomorrow.

Where does the VAIS AIC-100i plug in? From their website, it appears it connects to the radio and to the MFD. It would seen to talk to the LAN as well.

My suspicion tells me, if it dosn't have anything to do with the actual video signals from the nav, the two should co-operate. The VIDTOYO1 simply hijacks the RBG+Sync signals from the NAV. I passes the LAN signals through without touching them. Even if the AIC messed with the video feeds, it would just take the altered version the VIDTOYO sends and replace them with what it wants.

All I've connected so far is my rearview camera, which works very well. The video adjustment controls are on the converter box but are easy to use. I will try some other video inputs soon. For what you want to use it for, I would definetly recommend it. You will need to install a switch in the signal ground for input 2 in order to swap between NAV and DVD. It dosen't have any touchscreen input at all. It does switch very nicely to the RV when in reverse. Also, be aware, it is most likely to be illegal to have any kind of video where the driver can see it, just as CYA.

If you order a VIDTOYO1, make sure you check the places inventory before placing an order. Lots of sites advertise them for $200 or so but they never have any in stock.

4. slortz

slortz New Member

Thanks for the info, hawk. Sounds like there won't be a conflict with the VAIS ipod interface.
    If I can get order one of these for $200 that would be awesome, even if I have to wait a while for the backorder to be filled...just as long as it's not a CoastalTech long wait.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congrats!
    I had mine installed in Septmber. Here are the pictures.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ceric_64/alb...ic_64/my_photos

I didn't have the pin 4 & 5 mess-up problem like you did. Mine installation was easy and smooth. Yes, the routing part is complicated (especially routing thru the rubber boot). I tapped POWER/GND and trigger wires all from the NAVI units. I got mine for $250 delivered. :lol:

6. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Ahh, yes...the ^*&$^%!%#*&*$@*_% rubber boot. Only AFTER I broke the connecter in the middle of the camera wire did I realise the boot DOES come off, and the hard plastic ends can come out. Oh, well. Soldering iron was handy.

You made out better then me on price, but I was impatient when I was shopping and didn't want to wait on a back order. Mine was about $300.

I snagged the power and ground out of the back of the center armrest console. There was more room to get at the wires there, though I now need to go back and clean up my wire spagetti now I know everything is working correctly.

7. slortz

slortz New Member

I couldn't find it anywhere for $200...not even for a back order. Most places seemed to have it at about $250-$260. (and some places went as high as $350+!) Then tack on shipping and sales tax if applicable. Best I could do, spending about 20 minutes searching, was a total of $266.92 from SJGreatDeals.com. The CA sales tax tended to override a slightly cheaper price that I found at some other sites.

8. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about here?
    $251.
    I bought mine from them. Got it in one week or so.
    Good Luck. Alternatively, you may look for G-Net. It seems to have similar plug-n-play RGB connectors.
    http://www.digitallyunique.com/vidtoyo1.html

9. slortz

slortz New Member

:( Darn. just read your post now and you're right would have saved me $15. Especially a bummer because I have ordered stuff from digitallyunique before...for some reason my Google search of "vidtoyo1" didn't bring them up. Now, the most I can hope for is receiving my package quickly and in good order.
    Thanks for the info anyway.

10. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Which camera do you plan to use?
    I used SAVV 2000NC. I am not complete satisfied with the sensitivity rating (2Lux color/0.2 B&W). Make sure you get one that is rated no worse than 1Lux (color)/0.1lux(B&W). Yes, the VIDTOYO1 has brightness control, but it was several try-n-error for me to strike the right balance between day and night. :D