1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sounds like a feint card in a bicycle spoke, sometimes sounds like the car is slipping when U-TURN

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ssmr2t, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Ssmr2t

Ssmr2t Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I noticed sometimes when I come up to a right turn, and start turning my wheel right slightly as a slow down (around 5MPH or less) I hear a very feint almost card clicking noise almost like the sound when you put a poker card in your bicycle spoke. Its so quiet, its hard to hear. But, I hear it....

Then, sometimes when I make a U-TURN (LEFT U-TURN) it feels like the front right wheel almost slides and looses grip. I am not driving rough at all. The dash will momentarily light up like I am losing traction. That sound is noticeably louder. Almost like when your ABS pulsates.

Its a '14 with 50K miles.

I have a Toyota extended warranty, but Not sure if this type of thing is covered. It discourages me to use it because if it is not covered, you still have to pay $180.00 for Toyota to look at it.

Any idea what it could be? Is this type of thing covered maybe?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe there is debris in your brakes

dubit and MCCABE Yohe like this.
  3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My first thought was CV joint. But hard to say without being in the car and experiencing it.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you have a bad CV joint. But maybe you have a bad sensor.
    Either way you should get it looked at.
    You should read your extended warranty and see if that is covered.
    Most extended warranties will cover it, depending on the type of warranty you purchased.

MCCABE Yohe and dubit like this.
  5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How long ago was the previous wheel alignment? It's the first thing to look for when one wheel slips during a tight turn.

6. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had a similar issue on one of my prius's when the caliper bushings seized on one of my calipers, but that was a 10 year old prius with almost 200k miles! I also had an issue with a CV joint that sounds similar! Lots of stuff down there that can makes a lot of bad noises! If you aren't mechanically inclined then unfortunately you have to take that gamble that it is something covered under warranty! If your warranty doesnt state that it covers the brake system or drivetrain then I would say you are out of luck and need to be prepared to pay them $180 or you could ask the forums for a reliable independent shop in your area that will usually charge cheaper prices

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine does the same exact thing. Always has.
    To no avail, I’ve complained since the car was brand new, that the brakes rattle terribly over pot hole and lane divider reflectors (Boss Dots). That’s another story.
    I have a hunch that the noise we are hearing is the transitioning of the regenerative braking to the hydraulic brake pedal pressure. Toyota is pretty much “fingers in the ears” about brake noise, as it seems. Best thing is to have it looked at so that you’ll have documentation in case a real problem come up.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought warranty and don't know what it covers? :eek:

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like an Ace of spades

Mike

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a quirk of the gen 3 prius and other toyotas it has been noted in a tsb a few years back toyota is fully aware of the noise its normal for this car to do that its part of the steering muchanism or intermediate shaft because toyota never fully redisgned some there parts its just a quirk but if you feel your car isnt what you expect it to be take it in to get it looked over. Mine has 110k the click is so random at right turns i never pay it any mind. I think it sounds kinda cool while no danger exists. But if you get the hard clicking on every turn its time to see a repair shop.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I don’t doubt that there is a steering rattle condition out there, this seem to be a rotational clicking in the wheel (not steering wheel). There is zero feedback though the steering. It’s only audible with the driver window down and does not occur (as far as I know) all the time. I believe that the noise may be from a stack- up of tolerance coming from the outer CV joint. This does not necessarily mean that the CV joint is worn, since this noise has been apparently there since new. The frequency of the rattle seems to be faster than the wheel speed... pointing more and more toward the mechanics and angle of the joint during a tight turn. I think it’s just an inherent design anomaly.
    What! Me worry?

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There’s already a big thread pertaining to this clicking, long long ago in a far away galaxy.