1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Source for Dash Mats and Touch Screen Protection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cathy K, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Cathy K

Cathy K New Member

Has anyone found a source for custom dash mats for the 2004? I checked out Dashmat.com and they didn't even list the Prius. Also, how about a source for protective covers for the in-dash touch screen?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to find a dash cover for the 2004 Prius at:
    http://www.calcarcover.com/

They have the Velour cover @ $44.99 and Carpet cover @ $39.99

Found nothing on a cover for the touch screen.

3. Cathy K

Cathy K New Member

Thanks! Did you order from these folks, and if so what color did you order?

4. stanepstein

stanepstein New Member

The idea I have about touch screen protection is using the same protectors that are used on PDAs. The only problem is that they don't come in such a large size to fit the screen without using more than one. I use them on my Palm and they work great.

I am going to do a search and see if I can find a supplier who has something larger. Be aware that they are sticky and I don't know how that will affect the navigation screen. Someone needs to try this out and let us know if it messes up their Nav screen! Any volunteers?

Stan

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered the Beige Velour

6. terkar

terkar New Member

I ordered and received my dash cover from Magnusson Toyota I think they are in Palo Alto, CA Great experience no problems. I ordered the biege but when it came it was for the 2003 Prius (Lucky) since i was able to switch to black and when it came it was for the 04.
    Take your time putting it on - tough to fit not as easy as the one for my Explorer.
    If your interested I will try to find the address and phone number of Magnusson.

7. Price Taylor

Price Taylor New Member

I use water and an old diaper to clean the screen with -- works great so far although I agree that a PDA-like cover would be useful.

Price

8. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any pics of the dash cover inside the '04?

9. Stan Wilson

Stan Wilson New Member

The website makes the dash cover look UGLY...what does it look like for real?

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I second the request for pics of the dash covers. Before I spend 50 bucks I want to make sure my dash doesn't look like the back of an old sofa. Would be nice to have some non-reflective cover to cut the reflection off the winshield.
    Bob

11. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now Bob,
    Wasn't it you that said you were going to accessorize with throw pillows? I think the couch motif would fit right in.
    8)

12. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK Bob,
    I will be the "Ginea Pig" mine should be here next week and I will post some pictures.

13. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    True, I've accessorized Humu with matching throw pillows, but I don't want to lose the high techy look of the dash by making that look like a couch. I think maybe I could start a "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (car owner)" kinda forum if I can ever figure out how to upload pictures. The Prius has a roomier back seat than any other car I've owned..my straight friends usually toss the pillows into the back, but they do appreciate the color touch. There's hope yet in striking the balance between high tech and high fashion. Have any of you noticed the difference between the Starship Enterprise flown by Piccard and the latest incarnation of Enterprise flown by Archer? Piccard's ship was more like the inside of a cocktail lounge with a hint of techno, while Archer is driving a ship that looks like the inside of a Costco store with lots of flashing lights and humming gadgets.
    Not sure where this post is going, but the Prius is an amazing techno car packaged in a very soft interior.
    Now, to try and install mood lighting..........

14. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Re screen cover;This was discussed elsewhere. I got GBC SelfSeal repositionable letter sized laminating sheets at Office Max, I think. It is no problem to cut it to the right size and apply it and reposition it, the adhesive is very mild. I was quite happy at first that I did not need the"clean finger" that the manual requests. However in time I found that the textured surface reduced visibility in certain lights and removed it. I now carry a microfiber towel (Costco 10/$12) in the door pocket. Useful for polishing the screen, dustng the dash, cleaning the haze off the windshield and catching spills. If you would like to try the laminating sheet send me a stamped self addressed envelope and I'll send you enough to try. Ammiel Schwartz 21 Seven Oaks Lane Brewster, NY 10509

15. stanepstein

stanepstein New Member

I have an update on the NAV screen protectors. A company called NuShield makes touch screen protectors. They are for various applications including point of sale touch screens and other Nav systems. They do not use any adhesive but the VP of Manufacturing and Technology who has a Prius on order said he had problems with the Prius screen material and interaction with the film. They will continue to work on a solution.

Stan

16. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob,
    I promised photos in a previous post and when it arrived, I laid it out on the dash just to check the fit and left it there overnight. The next morning I started my commute and had to take it off the dash. The reflection was horrible. I had ordered the Beige Velour; it is just too light a color.

I was not impressed with the cut-up look; the passenger side air bag area and the top glove box are separate pieces. The contrast of the beige and the dark dash was not attractive.

If anyone would like to try a nice new beige dash cover I know where one is available at a bargain price.

17. terkar

terkar New Member

SeaSalsa: Sorry your dashmat did not work for you. I originally ordered the tan but swistched to black and am very pleased with the results. No glare, items placed on the dash stay there, and the fit is quite good - though it does take time to fit properly.
    Mine is all one piece. The airbag would just blow it out of the way and I have no problem opening up both upper and lower glovebox.

04 Salsa Red

18. TJ

TJ New Member

TerKar,

Ok, I'm confused. Did you order yours from www.calcarcover.com as well? Sounds like you both ordered the same thing, except yours being black as opposed to tan. But, seasalsa got a three piece dashmat and you got a one piece? Could you help me out here?

Thanks,
    Tom

19. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He mentioned that he ordered from a dealer in a previous post.

Mine came from calcarcover but the box it came in shows that it was made by Dash-Topper in Phoenix, Arizona. I checked www.dashtopper.com and they list the Velour @ $49.95 while www.calcarcover.com lists theirs at $44.99?

20. terkar

terkar New Member

TJ: No. I did not order mine from calcarcover. I ordered from Magnussen's Toyota of Palo Alto, California. Phone: (650) 494-2100. Great people to deal with. Orignally ordered tan but when it came it was for the 2003 Prius (The tan just did not go with my Prius Salsa Red with tan interior) Magnussen's said no problem, they would reorder 2004 in black. Very pleased with this one piece Black dashmat. Total cost shipped $54.07. The mat has a small logo "Mobile Shield" in the lower right corner. I did not get velour. Hope this helps./