1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sources for 2" receiver hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ruister, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ruister

ruister New Member

About a month ago my wife and I bought a 2004 Prius and are very happy with it, hurray! Being a gearhead geek I really got into the way the Prius works and I am thoroughly impressed both with the ingenuity and with the way it is completely transparent.

Anyway I've looked at different options to carry bikes, and using a hitch attached carrier seems to be the way to go for us. I want a 2" hitch receiver, and Coastal Tech is the only company I've found that makes 2" hitches for the Prius... Is this true?
    Are there any other sources? All posts relating to customer service problems have me worried about doing business with Coastal Tech.... I really have a severe dislike for poor customer service!
    Also there was one post indicating that the coastal trailer hitch was only rated for a 100 lb tongue load which indicates it is not stiff enough to keep the bikes stable enough for my taste...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Rui

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am looking for the same thing, but also have only found the Coastal Tech hitch to be the only 2" hitch for the Prius. I am in a similar situation and have a cargo carrier that I would like to use to carry light loads (cooler, luggage, etc.) for weekend trips.

3. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 18 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]463897[/snapback]</div>
    You could always get an adapter for the 1 1/4" hitch, I've seen some on Ebay for around $30.00 that'll go to the 2".

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John6012 @ Jun 18 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]463943[/snapback]</div>
    I looked into that and the problem is, they add another 6" or so to the cargo carrier. Mine already has enough room (approximately 12") between the hitch and the carrier so that you can open the hatch without having to remove stuff from the carrier. I wouldn't want to make it any longer, or I might start running into problems.

5. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

oh yay! [​IMG] another cyclist!!!!

we are avid cyclists who travel to organized rides all over socal all year long..... at first we were planning to buy a rooftop, but after much reseeach ended up with coastaletech's hitch. it didn't take hubby long to put it on and it's been on it's maiden voyage already, with no glitches! (we already had a nice hitch rack, along with a really nice saris set up when we had our MDX.... the last thing i wanted to do was spend an additions 5-6 hundred bucks on yet ANOTHER way to carry bikes!)

with the particular rack we have (yakima) you can even get into the trunk area if you need to! pretty sweet! however we just pack what we need first closer to the back doors!

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dude,
    Get the 1 1/4" Curt (or U-Haul) hitch. It is plenty for 4 bikes (if they all aren't Costco specials, which are all steel and heavy)

The Curt has a shorter receiver so there is less torque created by the hitch. The Coastal hitch has a design defect in that the receiver is very long creating a long lever arm. (probably why the 2" is only rated at 100lbs)

Plus for the 1 1/4 you can go to Performace bike and get a two bike carrier for about $139.00 or a four bike carrier for I think $249.

The Curt hitch should be between $139 and $179 INSTALLED! Go to a U-haul near u!

7. ruister

ruister New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jun 18 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]464102[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I would get a uhaul hitch if it weren't for the fact that the bike rack that I want is only available for a 2" receiver.
    By the way, now that I've had some more time to analyze the hitch designs, the problem lies in the fact that the tow hook mounts are not very rigid on their own and this ultimately is the limiting factor. What is needed is a third mount which would transfer the bending forces somewhere else in the middle of the car....
    hmmm, got to get under the car and see what's under there.

-Rui

8. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rui @ Jun 18 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]464126[/snapback]</div>
    Check out this thread which has a long discussion of the 2" receiver from coastal including pictures of my broken one and a modification which another person has done which makes the coastal one actually usable. It has a third mount point which relieves the torque problem that the coastal one has. The coastal design really stinks, but with the modification shown in that thread it seems ok.

I too needed to use a 2" receiver to use the bike rack I wanted.

9. hmarcuse

hmarcuse Junior Member

After reading this and other threads in June, I got a 1 1/4" Curt hitch from etrailer.com, and an XPort tray-type rack. It all worked out fine. I just made an illlustrated web page detailing my experiences with ordering, mounting, and using the hitch and rack:
    http://www.marcuse.org/harold/pages/PriusBikeRack077.htm
    It collects most of the information I gathered when I was trying to make a decision on how to put a bike rack on my Prius.

Danny13pruisc3 likes this.