1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sourcing new parts or reliable second hands parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HOLIRL, Feb 20, 2016.

1. HOLIRL

HOLIRL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I've got a 2nd Gen Prius 2006 and it requires Toyota Part Number: 89890-47080

I am evaluating the option of buying a new part or a second hand part.

Would people have suggestions as to investing in a new part or trying to pick up a second hand cheaper one and any advice where to purchase? Dealer is quoting over 1000 euro for part alone which I feel is too much.

Thank You in anticipation.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why do you just need new hybrid battery ecu? It’s very rare to fail item so used is the best option.

It’s in the hv-battery and comes with hybrid battery if you don’t buy new from dealer. If you buy new hybrid battery from dealer you can just use the old one.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

As you've probably already seen on Google, you can get one for around $570 brand new from Toyota dealers online, or used ones well under $100 on eBay, and there's also a service that offers to repair yours for $300. (I don't know anything about that service or how they go about doing it; it would be interesting if someone checked them out.)

... hmm, now I wonder if that repair service ever gets many Gen 1 ECUs ... maybe I should try to get their opinion on the Gen 1 battery ECU fires thread, though that's off-topic for here.

-Chap

Edit: sorry, it's early yet (here) and I noticed neither the (euro) nor the (Ireland) on my first reading, so I don't know how the US pricing I found compares to what's available nearer to you.