1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Soy" is it safe?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Jul 30, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This hit the local News paper last week, The dangers of SOY and is it really safe? Due to the vegiterians & weight loss crowds, the soy industry has become one of the world's most wealthy and powerful. They are right up there with Big Oil..

SOY DANGERS:

High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking. High phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.

1)Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic orders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.

2)Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.

3)Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.

Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body’s requirement for B12.

Soy foods increase the body’s requirement for vitamin D.

Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.

Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.

Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and added to many soy foods.

Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.

SOY INFANT FORMULA — BIRTH CONTROL PILLS FOR BABIES

1)Babies fed soy-based formula have 13,000 to 22,000 times more estrogen compounds in their blood than babies fed milk-based formula.

2)Infants exclusively fed soy formula receive the estrogenic equivalent of at least five birth control pills per day.

3)Male infants undergo a “testosterone surge†during the first few months of life, when testosterone levels may be as high as those of an adult male. During this period, baby boys are programmed to express male characteristics after puberty, not only in the development of their sexual organs and other masculine physical traits, but also in setting patterns in the brain characteristic of male behavior.

4)Pediatricians are noticing greater numbers of boys whose physical maturation is delayed, or does not occur at all, including lack of development of the sexual organs. Learning disabilities, especially in male children, have reached epidemic proportions.

5)Soy infant feeding—which floods the bloodstream with female hormones that inhibit testosterone—cannot be ignored as a possible cause for these tragic developments. In animals, soy feeding indicates that phytoestrogens in soy are powerful endocrine disrupters.

6)Almost 15 percent of white girls and 50 percent of African-American girls show signs of puberty such as breast development and pubic hair, before the age of eight. Some girls are showing sexual development before the age of three. Premature development of girls has been linked to the use of soy formula and exposure to environmental estrogens such as PCBs and DDE.

For more information on the subject:
    http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/index.htm

2. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Personally I'd attribute the problems more to environmental pollutants, particularly within the home. This is just based on my own personal research and I am not an expert by any means.

Soy has been used for years and years in Asia and this kind of thing has not been seen there.

Besides, I love edamame and tofu ;)

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Except the point as I understand it is that soya hasn't been used in this fashion in Asia. Treated forms, such as fermented in soya sauce, have, but not the unrefined forms now being used in the west.

A long article was in The Guardian the other day: http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1828158,00.html.

Quote from that article:

4. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Unfortunately neither the statements made, nor the website noted give us much in the way of substantiation. I'll go with the folks who can give me clinical studies and peer reviews over those who choose to just give their thoughts and opinions.

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I have to say, the "soyonlineservice" site looks like a hit site. There are no substantive articles referenced and the "who are we" link never mentions who is actually behind the site. I'd say it has little or no credibility.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    at least the anti-splenda site admits they're run by the sugar association :lol: i wonder who's running the anti-soy site?

sigh... now i'm curious... guess i'll hit up pubmed if i've got some free time this week.

7. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jul 30 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]294642[/snapback]</div>
    My 13 year old son is almost 5'7" and weighs ~ 150 lbs. Maybe I should have given him MORE soymilk... :)