1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Space saver spare tyre in Prius and being minus a spare tyre in Prius i-Tech (Australia)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bauhaus, Jan 19, 2017.

1. bauhaus

bauhaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I've never had a space saver spare tyre before. What are they like to use? Is it true you have to drive no more than 80 kilometres per hour when using one? How are they like with gripping in the wet?

I understand the Prius i-Tech in Australia has no spare tyre. Does it come with some product that patches the hole in the tyre? How effective and easy to use is that? I've never had a car that didn't come with a spare tyre before.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.
    Speed with a space saver spare is limited. It has a higher pressure too. 60 psi I think.
    I understand that using the patch lit can mean the tire and sometimes TPMS sensor need to be replaced.
    @alanclarkeau should be along to share his Prius experiences in Australia.

RCO, alanclarkeau and bauhaus like this.
  3. bauhaus

bauhaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, they're not equipping any of ours with TPMS. My FIESTA came without a spare - but I optioned it with a temporary spare. It had a canister and a neat little pump which would fill the tyre with "gunk" to temporarily repair small holes. The jury is out on using "gunk" to repair as to whether the tyre can actually be repaired afterwards - some repairers say that you throw the tyre away, clean the rim and put a new one one because the "gunk" is impossible to remove successfully - but overseas they say repairers repair the tyres OK. Maybe have a chat to your "friendly" tyre guys.

I've had space savers in my last 2 cars - not my preferred option. Essentially they drive more or less like normal, I don't think it was wet the times I used them, you use it as a temporary spare while you take your proper wheel to be repaired. I used it maybe 3 or 4 times in the previous cars - and essentially I just took the car to get it fixed, put the temp spare back. 2 other times, I used a pump to pump the damaged tyre back up which got me to the tyre service. Yes, it's limited to 80km/hr and theoretically 80km distance.

I don't like the idea of no spare - I'm planning to do an around Australia trip in the next couple of years, not sure if it'll be with the PRIUS or the next car - but I'd be taking a FULL-SIZE spare with me even if I had a temporary.

In the last 10 years, I had 2 flat tyres well beyond 80km range to next tyre service - one was ½ way between Emerald and Barcaldine - 160 km either direction to service. Would be a LONG, HOT WALK - if I wasn't in a work Commodore with full size spare.

The other could have been worse - I was in my VOLVO 940, fortunately with a FULL SIZE Spare. On Carnarvan Gorge Road on a Saturday, tyre destroyed. Headed to Emerald 250km - sorry, none in stock, Tuesday before they'd arrive. Just kept driving with fingers crossed - eventually got one at Murgon, another 650km away. Total 900km - a lot of good an 80km range/80km/hr temporary tyre would be.

RCO and bauhaus like this.
  5. bauhaus

bauhaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible to fit a full size spare tire in the Prius or the Prius i-Tech (although I'm more likely to look at the Prius)?

6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some users on this list use a Corolla rim either for a spare or for snow tires.
    Some users here have purchased the Toyota foam pieces to fit a temporary spare on a model without a spare. I believe there is a difference in cargo deck height, though. The full sized spare is not an option int he US.
    This is from the 2017 US manual, though:
    upload_2017-1-19_7-50-51.png

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No - unless you remake the polystyrene mouldings - which I'm not sure if anyone has - there was some discussion on PriusChat a while back both with Gen 3 and Gen 4 adaptations. Maybe do a search on PriusChat.

There was talk that a Corolla wheel and tyre from the wreckers would fit a Gen 3, but I'm not sure about Gen 4.

If I did an around Australia, I'd be alone, and probably carry it on the passenger (that's the left side for non Aussies reading this so it won't block the Hybrid Battery vent) rear floor or maybe strapped down in the loadspace with seats folded down.

8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting that your handbook has mention of a FULL SIZE SPARE - does anyone know which market this is included in?

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tideland Prius is usually the expert on that here. I believe

Tideland Prius and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yikes what a trip...

You got my curiosity going so I started looking at Google Maps for possible routes.

How long do you think it would take?

Looks like a lot of places out in the middle of nowhere so to speak...

11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, there is a lot of "middle of nowhere" here. Half of the trip I was driving with friends. Roads were good - except for the rough bush dirt track into Carnarvan Gorge, maybe about 45 minutes from the sealed road. Lovely country though. I could have waited in Emerald till Tuesday, or detoured up to Rockhampton where they would have had a tyre, but that would have added about 500km to my journey. I was living in Nambour at the time - which was a 13 hr drive, about 900km each way.

Sooner Al likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I know is the Middle East market.

Source:

3:35 mark

Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - it's hard to tell, but it doesn't look like the floor is any higher from the 2 second glimpse. It'd be interesting to see if the cargo capacity is the same.

Maybe we could make a bulk order to the Middle East for the SPARE PARTS needed to do it properly? Toyota USA might get the drift if Middle East TOYOTA gets a couple of thousand export orders for spare parts? Probably not.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Camry was the only car we had with a full size spare tire. All other cars we've owned had temporary spare. For our cases and for our use, we've never had to use the spare tire. We were also close enough to get the tire patched up. (Flat tires always seems to happen within city limits)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're lucky. My son had a tire go on his Prius v while on a highway coming ho,e. He was able to get hos temporary spare mounted and get to a tire dealer to get his tires replaced.

#15 Prodigyplace, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    80km/h max for a distance of 80km. (although I have seen people drive with a temporary spare that should've been replaced a week ago - the tread was quite shallow).

The tire pressure is usually inflated to max sidewall pressure for storage in the wheel well, so if you have to use it, just ensure it's at the right pressures before driving off with the spare tire installed.

Also, your service department *should* be checking the spare tire pressure when they do the service that includes tire rotation (they won't do it during "oil & filter" or "service A" appointments). That being said, it would be prudent to check the pressure of that spare tire every so often.

Definitely. I had a scare one morning on a road trip when the TPMS light came on - I thought I had a flat. I had just pulled out of the overnight stop in a village, so I just turned around, pulled into the gas station and checked the tire pressures and found them to be at specification. I had no idea why it was on and it didn't turn on when I started the car again.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are we supposed to do a tyre rotation in the UK? My dealer never mentioned it to me, but it sounds like north America is obsessed with it.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not know about you, but mine rotate as I drive down the road. Do you guys do that differently too? :eek: :LOL:

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, is true that when I stopped 'em rotating they all developed flat spots from the resultant skidding.

Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost never rotate tyres - some people do here, some don't. I was a bit intrigued when I first came on PriusChat that most USA people do.

Prodigyplace likes this.