1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

spacers on stock wheels to widen stance?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by deltron3030, Apr 21, 2010.

1. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wondering if using spacers to make the stock wheels more flush with the body (and first and foremost widening the stance for better handling) would be A. possible and B. effective at giving me better handling without sacrificing MPG's to a wider and heavier wheel/tire setup.

I've gone up to 18's and came back to stock. I considered super light weight 16's (11 lbs per wheel) but the price of a wheel upgrade unfortunately does not justify itself. Im kind of settling on the idea of a performance tire and the stock 15", with a wider stance.

economical larger wheels can look great, but are most often heavier in both standing weight and distribution of that weight in a rotational mass. and if not heavier, not so light as to feel a difference in acceleration/ braking, which are two big ones for me.

wheels lighter than stock 15's are way too expensive, and there are plenty of performance wheels with good grip and great sidewall strength as to approximate the stiff handling of larger wheels for a lot less money (just ask any miata racer)

anyhow, if any of you guys know much about spacers for our 2010 prii and stock wheels, i'd be very thankful.

2. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's really hard on the bearings to do that to them ~ it's a matter of leverage. You can do it but longevity will suffer.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm.. so new rims are a grand or two... you probably waste that on the 18's you originally put on your car.. why not do it properly and put on a new suspension. it's basically the only way to get the results you are looking for.

coil-over springs......

i liked the way it handled with 225/40/17's.... but it wasn't soft enough.. and it rubbed... it wasn't soft enough with 215/45/17... it's much better with the 215/50/17

i won't fool myself by thinking i'll completely change the way it handles with tires though... if i wanted an overhaul, i would purchase a real overhaul... not a duct-tape solution

there are many on here who have changed out their suspension.. they love it...

4. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the TRD 5 spokes for $650 tires included on ebay, (and fortunately the toyota dealership selling em' to me took em back since they were advertised as TPMS ready, but werent. even reimbursed me for mounting costs)....and Yep, already have a coilover kit, which i really like.

I got a solid price on the SSR wheels I really want, but at this point in my life/career etc. i gotta really evaluate how much 1.5k means to me in terms of new wheels n tires.

the more research ive been doing, the more it seems spacers are a bad idea....i guess i'll move along to the next idea

5. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was thinking about doing this too.. because I HATE that sunken wheel look..

Dont be afraid of spacers.. I have used them before.. and know alot of people who have.. Never known to have problems with them.. just do it right and get a quality kit if you decide to go really wide..

To those who talk about problems with them. .Have you ever had them on a car?

6. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i think ichiba sells them for prius.
    you would need at least 2.5 inches for the rear. larger will be hard to find.
    I am thinking of 16x7 Enkei rpf 1 with stockYokohama's for me. will be lighter then stock package, but not much.around $1400 delivered.
    c

7. HIGHcard

HIGHcard New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm running 1" in the front and 1.25" in the rear..No problems when I drove them from Ca to Vegas and back :rockon:

8. cosmoman

cosmoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What Make/Model did you buy?

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: