1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spacers to get more ground clearence for jdm 2013 prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AliPK, Jul 22, 2017.

1. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys.I have just purchased Jdm prius 2013 with 215/50R 17 wheels.I want to raise rear by adding 1 inch spacers to get more ground clearance since I been having real problem clearing road bumps/speed breakers.is it ok to install I inch spacers only in the back?thanks for any help.

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that's no gonna help you if you'll keep the front at the standard height/

AliPK likes this.
  3. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.what if I raise front and back by half inch?and also I am talking about spacers in the spring coil.would it be safe and have any long term adverse effect?.thanks.

4. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And may I add its only the back half of the car which hits speed breakers(car breakers I would say).

5. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    In that spirit...
    What exactly is going on?
    Front end has 5.25" clearance.
    Rear is like 8".
    Are both scraping? Just the back? At what speeds?

In addition, I've scraped the front a few times. (Mostly getting into my driveway).
    If I go really slow and at an angle, that works most of the time, maybe that will help you in a few situations.

Also, there's a plastic guard in the front, sime people have replaced it when it's really gotten chewed up. You may need to inspect that.

Best,
    Pnb

AliPK likes this.
  6. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bless you and Basically front end goes through its the middle of the car which hits big bumps.tried angling it but no use.I am missing engine splash shield.paid big bucks for the car($24000)because of huge taxes.back home in long island,i use to lower my cars without any problems but here it's other way around.spacers are being used in this part of the world.I am just worried about the long term effects/safety(three young kids in the car).but I need to get it done ASAP.thanks in advance .

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Adding a spacer to the spring will simply compress the spring, giving a harsher ride, adding taller tires will raise the ground height.

AliPK likes this.
  8. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucifer.thanks but I am already using 17"rims with 215/50 R 17 Yokohama db.harsher ride I ain't worried about.to me it's the sacrifice I got to make.HELP please

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    245/50 17 will get you an inch and a quarter, half of that would be 3/4ths of an inch in more height.

Err, my Dodge Ram has air and goes up and down five inches, be expensive;) be heavy, but...

AliPK likes this.
  10. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not the right fit for prius and the air ones are hard to find and by chance if you do,that would cost me an arm and leg around this part of the world.But thanks anyway.much appreciated.

11. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Change your route to avoid these bumps? Even possible? I'm sure you've thought of this...

AliPK likes this.
  12. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to pick/drop kids from school and time seems like money in morning rush hours.

13. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It's not.

The time savings may well surprise you.
    If a change in route is a potential solution to your problem, you can use Googlemaps to map different routes, and get a sense of the changes in distance and time before trying them out. You can even ask maps.Google.com to specify when you would leave or arrive I.e. map a route starting at 7am tomorrow, etc. If that works in your country, it may help a bit. In any case you probably know your average speed for the trip (just time yourself tomorrow and do the math of course). IIRC, average city speed in America is about 22 mph. (of course rush hour and you're city will affect that). If your new route adds two miles at 20 mph.....that's 6 minutes. 6 minutes x 250.working days per year x 2 trips per day = 50 hours per year. Yikes..

Ah never mind, you're right, sort of.
    It's not time is money, but it is quality of life. 6 extra minutes with family at breakfast probably beats 6 minute in the car, etc....

Never mind! Lol
    Guess I had to do the math.

OTOH, if these bumps are really f'ing up your car, you could do an alternate route until you add spacers or whatnot.

AliPK likes this.
  14. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks and WOW that was some math.(in a good way).

15. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well finally got the aluminium spacers of one inch installed in the back and GUESS what loving it.no difference in mpg or handling and NO MORE scrapping the car on bumps.

RMB likes this.