1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spaming the Mailbox: Isn't this a no no?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by hill, Sep 24, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Here's what I got from a 'Zero post' person in the PM slot. Ok Moderaters ...
    PLEASE Please tell me this isn't approved:

[​IMG] Media & Hybrid Study
    Hi- My name is Kat and I’m a market researcher for Research International. I’m doing a study that I think you’d be great for since I noticed you’re a frequent poster to PriusChat.com. It’s a study about the lives and media usage of people who like hybrid cars.

If you qualify and agree to participate, Research International will send you a packet of information together with an easy-to-use video camera and digital voice recorder that you’ll use over a 1.5 week period from Sept. 29 to Oct. 9. During that time, we ask that you complete assignments in which you answer questions about your life and experiences. For instance, we may ask you to record a 5 minute video message that shows you and your friends, and the types of things you enjoy doing together. On Oct. 9, at the end of the usage period, you will send back the camera and voice recorder back to us to process.

We will reward you for your contribution to our research. You will earn $150 if you complete all the assignments over the 1.5 week period, and return the audio and video equipment to us. You’ll also be eligible to participate in a follow up interview at the end of October – you can more money for that phase of the study!

Does this sound like something you’re interested in? If so, please send me a telephone number where we can contact you to see if you qualify for the study. Feel free to contact me even if you just want to ask some questions about this project.

Kind regards,
    Kat Laine

Senior Research Manager, Qualitative
    Research International
    222 Merchandise Mart Plaza
    Chicago, IL 60654

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got the same thing. Seems odd, the website is real, but I wonder what they want me to record myself doing. I wonder if you have to put a deposit down for their equipment they send you.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She's only PM'd a handful of people, including me. Yes, I would have much appreciated her asking permission before doing so, but it appears she's only PM'd around 15 people. B/C it seems legit I'm letting it slide for now.

4. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    She isn't giving herself much time if the study starts on Monday. Anyone plan on contacting her?

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I replied to her that I wasn't interested. I got back a reply that thanked me for responding and to let her know if I changed my mind.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only 15? Curious. I deleted it as spam without reading the whole thing. Sorry, Kat, I'm sure you're a wonderful person in real life, but I'm too camera shy to join the youtube generation.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got it too. Deleted as spam.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i got it also. i emailed her for specifics since i dont mind pushing the technology and if i can convince someone to go "green" who otherwise wouldnt i would do it for free. adding a $150 payday plus potential for more is just icing on the cake.

in the email response i received, they mention 4 video "assignments" and one audio recording some of which appears to involve family and friends. so i asked her for specifics first, since i need to see if others involved would be on board for this. she did say call for any specific questions and she would be available.

i will be calling her in a few hours, so we will see what she has to say

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got it too, I am moderately interested, but probably not worth my time.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got 'the call' today, they want people who've owned for < 6 months. I asked the caller to have the person who PM'd everyone to contact me for further permission. I'll PM her back today and try to put some semblance of organization to her effort.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,
    I was contacted by Kat today. She's apologized for PMing as she did and we will be working with her to facilitate getting participants for her study.

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She PM'd me too. I think she must have PM'd more than 15 people.

In any event, I read her message and didn't see any reason whatsoever why I would want to participate.

13. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i be interested in participating....if shes lookin at this thread

14. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldnt mind even though i've only owned mine since March 14, 2008.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She only targeted frequent posters.
    I knocked her back as I will be very busy over the period concerned, I also couldn't see Kat getting the equipment to Adelaide, South Australia on time.