1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare Key Options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wendel, May 31, 2006.

1. Wendel

Wendel New Member

I have a smart key and was wondering if it would be possible to have the small mechanical key duplicated and used as a spare key for entering and starting the auto. I would like to put the spare key under the car and used in emergencies.
    Could the spare mechanical key be used to unlock the car then by disabling the smart function by pressing the button under the steering wheel could I use the key to start the car?

2. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can have a mechanical key to open the door, but it will not start the car. Some people store a smart key with the battery removed in the car for this purpose. I haven't had an issue of needing to use my spare yet since you can't lock the smart key in the car, but my parents have a mechanical key to my car for emergencies.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This has been discussed before. The mechanical key would only unlock the door. To start the car you need the "fob". For the smart key, if it would be out of battery it needs to be inserted into the key slot or the car won't start. So making a mechanical key won't help you much unless you keep a spare fob around as well.

4. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did make a copy of the little mechanical key- sometimes at a large conference you just want to get access to the car- or give access to someone else- to take a nap, etc.

You cannot lock the smart key in- it will not let you lock the car, so having a mechanical key to get in if you lock your keys in- does not work...

5. c4

c4 Active Member

If the smart key fob does not have a battery and you're relying on the transponder chip, does the fob have to be physically inserted into the slot or simply placed in very close physical proximity? (ie, is there a switch or sensor in the slot?)

If the answer is just close physical proximity or a switch the can be bypassed, one possibility which I don't believe has been considered is the use of a key from a Gen1 Prius.. No, it's not a fob, but it does have a transponder chip in it, so if you got a Gen1 Prius key and had it cut to match the mechanical key and then the vehicle programmed to recognize the chip in the key, assuming that they both use the same RFID technology, you could use the key to open the mechanical lock, then just hold it near the slot (or maybe it will actually fit in the slot with the key part sticking out) and push the button to start the car.

I assume that the new Prius can still be programmed with some fancy key in/push the button/open/shut doors dance?? If so, does anyone here who owns both a Gen1 and a Gen2 want to see if the G2 can recognize the transponder in a G1 key?

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ May 31 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]263442[/snapback]</div>
    When you remove the battery from the fob, the fob needs to be inserted into the slot to start the car.

7. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ May 31 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]263396[/snapback]</div>
    It will work to opent the car if you disable the smart key by pushing the button under the driver's side dash.

8. thejoker

thejoker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ May 31 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]263343[/snapback]</div>
    1. What sorts of emergencies do you envision where your parents can help by having a mechanical key?

2. Were you able to go to a store (or Toyota) to get a copy made of the mechanical key, or how did you get one to give to your parents?

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 5 2006, 11:14 PM) [snapback]281867[/snapback]</div>
    Your local Toyota dealer will make a copy of the mechanical key for you at a reasonable price. I had three of them made since they're so darn cute.

10. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mechanical Keys $0.99 at Home Depot

11. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ May 31 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]263396[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, you can lock the fob in the car if you use the mechanical key. I wanted to go swimming without leaving my key on the shore. I obviously couldn't swim with the fob. So I hid the fob in the car, closed the door, inserted the mechnical key and turned it forward. This locked all five car doors. Then I swam with the mechanical key in my pocket. Worked perfectly.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 6 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]281937[/snapback]</div>

I do the same thing every time i go kayaking (3-4 times a week!), and it works great!

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 6 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]281937[/snapback]</div>
    I did the same thing to pre-heat the cab in winter (at 30 degrees below zero in Fargo).

Note that, even with SKS turned off, you can open the car door using the "Unlock" button on the fob (assuming it has a functioning battery in it). Turning off SKS only disables the Smart Unlock triggered by touching the inside of the door handle and the Smart Lock actuated by the little black button on the handle. The only times you really need the mechanical key are: 1. You want to lock a functioning fob in the car; 2. The fob battery has gone dead; or 3. You want access to the locked car when the fob is not present.

15. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 6 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]282087[/snapback]</div>
    If you have a vehicle that has sks, but it is turned off, can you have as a spare a NON sks keyfob that is programmed to open the car? Also, is there any way to program the key yourself or does the dealership have to do it? and, usually what is the going rate for that service?