1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare Key

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by shann17, Oct 26, 2006.

1. shann17

shann17 New Member

Hello,
    Wondering if anyone has purchased a spare key from a place outside of the dealership? I find it hard to swallow that it's going to cost an upwards of $300 even more to program for my spare key. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can purchase a spare from? I was hoping to spend closer to $100 but over 300 is too pricey.

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish I had an answer for you on this. But you might try posting this in the Prius Main Forum. You'll get more views there and someone who's much more knowledgeable than I am is sure to see it.

Allow me to cordially invite you to a meet of NJ Prius Owners at noon on Saturday, 11/11 at Jose Tejas in Fairfield. Details are here: http://priuschat.com/Saturday-Nov-11th-Jos...-NJ-t25540.html

3. brucem5755

brucem5755 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shann17 @ Oct 26 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]338648[/snapback]</div>
    https://www.streetkeys.com/

$170

My dealer then charged $49 for programming, and refused to cut the mechanical key (said it had to be laser cut overseas). Took mechanical key to local ace hardware and had mechanical key cut for 50 cents.

I have read here that programming fees vary, so shop around.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The fobs come up from time to time on eBay as well. Just remember which type of fob you're looking for...the SKS or the non-SKS version.

5. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just had a spare mechanical key made at Lowe's for $1.99 from an Axxess+ 35R key blank. I wouldn't ever want to lose even the original mechanical key. I can put the SKS key (including the mech. key) into a metal box left in the car and carry the duplicate mechanical key with me backpacking or to the beach and not have to worry about losing it.

~buttster