1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

spare tire access with the Enginer PHEV kit installed

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by dan2l, Jan 20, 2010.

1. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Spare tire access.
    I have had a lot of Questions from people about spare tire removal with the Enginer Kit installed over the tire.
    Today I moved a kit by myself from its spot over the tire to a place over the folded down back seats. This can be done by anyone with enough strength to bend over lift the spare tire out of its well without dragging it across the rear threshold. So the bottom line is if you are comfortable changing the spare by yourself then you probably can do this. If not then you need help for both the kit removal and for changing the spare.

You need to cut some 2x4s to the right length and do a trial run with your installer when you first install the kit. Then those 2x4s can be tucked down beside the kit for storage in case you need them. I did this without the brackets in place but you can do it without removing the hold down brackets.
    So here is my process. Note that this process may need to be refined after I do this with brackets.
    KitRemoval.jpg

Unplug the cord going to the charger.
    Remove the 2x4s from their storage place. You should have 8 short lengths of 2x4s.
    Fold both seats forward.
    Remove the 6 wingnuts from the sides of the kit. Be careful to keep all the washers.
    During all of this process be very careful not to pinch or damage the wires on the Left side. You have 2 cables. One has a big black shield and the other looks like a telephone or computer internet cable.
    Lift the left side of the kit and set it on top of the left bracket.
    Lift the right side and slide first one 2x4 under the kit. Then lift the right side again and set the 2nd 2x4 on top of the 1st and under the kit. Check for balance forward and backward. Slide the 2x4 forward or backward to get the kit stable.
    Lift the left side and do the 1st and 2nd 2x4 the same way. Then lift it again and do the 3rd.
    Lift the right side and do the 3rd and then the 4th.
    Lift the left side and do the 4th 2x4.
    Now you can carefully lift one of the sides and move it back toward the seats, onto the deck area. Then do the same with the other side. Then slide it far enough onto the deck to make it stable.
    Now you can get to the tire.
    To replace the kit do a reversal of the process.
    This is a slow careful process but it will work well in an emergency.

Thanks,
    Dan

3 people like this.