1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare tire/anti-lock brake question?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fliermike, Jul 22, 2006.

1. fliermike

fliermike New Member

I’ve had my ’06 since February. Last week I noticed a slow leak in the right front tire and took it to my handy dealer. He said the nail was near the rim and the tire was not repairable, and that he couldn’t get a replacement until the next day. So, I drove home (fortunately not far) and back the next day with the spare donut on the right front. I noticed that with the spare on the anti-lock brake light flickered. The faster I tried to go the more it flicked and the brakes seemed to be dragging. I found that I couldn’t get over about 40 mph.

I’ve looked in my manual and it has a very brief warning about keeping the tires the same size so the speed sensor will detect different rotation speeds, but doesn’t mention the spare tire. The light that was flickering shows a car icon with two squiggly lines beneath it, indicating a sliding car I guess. This light is not mentioned in my manual!

Anyway, is this the normal operation with the spare? The maintenance rep mumbled something about a safety feature to keep the speed down while using the spare. I understand that concept, but if I have to use the spare out on the highway I think it will be less safe to be going 35 or 40 than to be going faster on the spare tire (for a short distance). Any ideas or comments from you experienced Prius People?

Thanks, Mike

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fliermike @ Jul 22 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]290535[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Mike,

That light you mentioned is the traction control light. It comes on when the drive wheels sense that the wheels do not have enough traction. Most likely because of the difference in the size of the wheels, combined with the speed, yours is clicking on. When that light comes one, the car also loses power...hence you not being able to get up to speed.

A few ways around it
    1. Install the spare on a rear wheel instead of the front wheel (just be careful not to take turns too quickly and fishtail).
    2. Drive very slowly - with that mini spare you really shouldn't drive faster then 35mph...and should change it immediately. The mini spares are designed to get you to the mechanic and thats all...not like the full sized spares of old.