1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spare Tire & Dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kwool, Feb 21, 2014.

1. kwool

kwool New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hey all,

Through this rough winter, our roads here in Iowa have become pothole ridden. I've been vigilant about avoiding them but ended up hitting one obscured by water slightly too fast. I heard the iconic sound and instantly knew I had a flat on the front right wheel. Luckily, I was only three blocks from home so I made it there.

I was able to put on the spare last night without much issue (kudos to Toyota for a halfway decent kit!) I went to the dealer today to see what could be done. Decided to go there since I had to get my recall service done anyway.

The tire was unrepairable, as I predicted. I'm on a 2013 Persona with Toyo Proxes A20 (P215/45R17) and I've been happy with them so far. Unfortunately when I came back to the dealer, I got the bad news: they had none in stock and would have to order one--for $277! The other option was a cheaper tire, but these Toyos still have a lot of life in them only about 15k miles. I dediced to have them order the Toyo, so I drove my Prius back home.

I just have a couple of questions.

(1) My spare is making a light "whurrr" noise. Is this normal? Should I check anything with it?

(2) The manual says that the spare should be replaced with a normal tire "as soon as possible," but gives no restrictions on use other than to stay under 50mph. Since the new Toyo won't come until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, how much driving can I do at this point? I'm planning to minimize it, of course.

(3) Was it a bad idea going for the Toyo Proxes again?

Thanks for all your help. I'm worried about my baby! :p

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like the spare is on the front? You, or Toyota should have moved the rear wheel to the front and mounted the space saver spare wheel on the back. Your car is a front wheel drive, so all the rear wheel does is keep the rear end off the ground. ;)

Also, any impact severe enough to cause a flat and total loss of the tire could have damaged the wheel as well. Did they inspect the wheel for cracks or bending?

I hit some debris on the freeway once and had a bent rim in the bead area. The tire had a dime sized hole in the sidewall too. I was able to get the rim repaired, but I ended up buying two tires of another brand and drove that way till I got a complete set when the originals were worn.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

3. kwool

kwool New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I checked the manual time and time again about the placement of the spare and it never warned against use of the spare on the front axle except in snow and ice conditions.

To be honest, I think the dealer did a very cursory job with this and likely didn't look at the wheel much. From what I can tell, the wheel is still in good shape.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy with this dealership. This is the first time I've used them (just moved) and will likely not use them again.

4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would move the spare tire to the rear since your vehicle is a front wheel drive. It helps with handling as well.

5. kwool

kwool New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yeah, from what I've read that seems like a good idea.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, just will take some time with the baby jack included with the Prius.

Also, is it reasonable just to replace the one (flat) tire? My current tires don't have a lot of wear. The service people didn't say anything about having to replace any more than just the one.

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it was me and I know my other 3 tires has a lot of life left, I would just replace one and leave that in the rear and keep the 2 tires that has the same wear in the front.

7. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You can surely find the tire cheaper online. Discount Tire will match online prices. I would never pay that price at the stealership for a tire.

8. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The difference in tread depth between the existing three tires and a new tire determines whether you can replace only one tire or need to replace both tires on the same axle. Too great a difference in tire diameter can cause driveline and/or ABS problems.

Dealers are usually not a good value when replacing tires. Go to a reputable repair shop that specializes in selling tires or a reputable tire store. They can advise you on how many tires you need and install them.

hybridbear and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    15K miles can cause significant wear on a front tire.. some here go through the OEM rubber in 30K miles.
    Maybe buy 2 new tires and put them both on the front or rear as a matching set...

10. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Spare on the rear
    1/2" difference in tire diameter(1 out of the 4) will set off the stability control system, stopping the ice above 32mph
    Replace both tires on the axle that got the flat
    Put the new rubber on the front...