1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spark Plug replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nosmo King, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Nosmo King

Nosmo King New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I had spark plugs changed last year as recommended for my 60K mile service in my 2003 Prius. The parts supplier at my mechanic's recommended Iridium Autolite plugs.

Yesterday, my mass air sensor went out, and I took it to the dealer. He said that the autolite plugs were definitely not recommended, and suggested I pay for replacement (to the tune of $110.) Up until the mass air flow sensor went out, the car ran fine, and my mileage didn't drop after the autolite plugs were added.

I suspect I've been had, but I'm not sure by whom. Any ideas who is right?

Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The functioning of the mass airflow sensor will not be affected by the iridium spark plugs. I suggest that you have that component cleaned (or replaced if necessary), then see if any other problems exist.

In general, I suggest using the specified NGK or Denso iridium spark plugs to avoid the occasional P3191 engine does not start code. However if you don't have engine start or misfire problems, then no worries.

3. Nosmo King

Nosmo King New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the plugs were to blame for the sensor failure.

The autolite plugs were in the car for a year; over that time, no problems were apparent with misfiring or with gas mileage. Does that mean that the plugs should not have been replaced? Should I go back to the dealer and complain?

Thanks.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota repair documentation and the Prius owner's manual recommend NGK or Denso iridium spark plugs. Therefore, your dealer service writer's assertion that Autolite brand plugs are not recommended is a true statement.

If your original complaint related to engine misfire or lack of power, the dealer mechanic may have replaced the spark plugs to rule out that area as an issue, prior to diagnosing the MAF as the problem. If you go back to complain, the service writer will probably say that you authorized the work to be done. Further, use of the correct plugs will probably prevent a future driveability problem.

5. Nosmo King

Nosmo King New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Thanks for the quick help.