1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spark Plugs & Ignition Coils

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by Georgie-Hussel, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Georgie-Hussel

Georgie-Hussel New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recently bought a nice 2012 Prius V with 115,000 miles on it. No idea when new spark plugs & ignition coils last installed so decided to change them, my city gas mileage could be better, getting between 28 - 32 mpg city driving. I live in Virginia so currently temperatures are around 40 degrees.

I noticed on Amazon prices for NGK spark plugs vary wildly, no idea if even half the ones are even legit and not knock-offs.

I saw one set of Denso ones Cost $57.00

No idea what brand of ignition coils to buy?

I saw no NGK/Ignition coil sets together that I recall.

Anyone have a link

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ignition coils don't need replacement. I normally get more than 200K, before they start to fail.

NGK, ND, even the Autolite iridium seem to last at least 100K miles. Drop the old plugs into the trunk in-case you get a failure.

Brian1954 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cheap plugs on Amazon are likely to be counterfeit, and sometimes the quality is such that an electrode or chunk of ceramic will fall into the cylinder and wreck your engine. Plugs from your dealer or a local brick-and-mortar job shop would be a better bet.

If a coil ain't broke, replacing it with some inexpensive one may just mean putting something worse in your car than is there now.

#3 ChapmanF, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    Air_Boss and Brian1954 like this.