1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speak softly, don't argue and slow down

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dsunman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. dsunman

dsunman New Member

I'm so glad seeing our federal government getting into this. Most of it is a cultural etiquette bordering with common sense.
    Article

I've committed a faux pas on many occasions myself, once being in Paris many years ago I walk into a street cafe and asked for a coffee, which I got served in a nice porcelain cup with saucer. I've arrogantly asked the lady to give it to me in a paper cup. She gave me this long strange look, so I immediately realized how foolish of me it was to ask for a paper cup in Paris. Gladly, I sat down at a table and enjoyed the coffee with gapping at passing Parisian ladies.

Once visiting maritime provinces in Canada, I've walked into Tim Hortons early in the morning to get a coffee. I was the only person in. I've recited my order in a typical manner as we do it the busy cities in the States, pretty much exploding with a sentence lasting split of a second "small, black, no sugar" The girl's face was like I was about to rob the place. She actually very slowly repeated my order like this. Beautiful day today isn't it? Might be cloudy later on, so you'd like to have a small cup of black coffee with no sugar added. Her sentence must have lasted 10 seconds or so. I know she did this deliberately, for which I have apologized and afterwards we chuckled a bit.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ha. apt. Though, like the article says, most folks to quite well. It's good to see that we're realizing what pricks we can be though. Theo Roosevelt had it right. We havn't listened to his words much over the last 60-70 years.