1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Netro, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Netro

Netro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On the right side, both rear and front speakers, seems to work perfectly fine but on the left side seems like it is not receiving power at all. Speakers on the left seem to be in good condition, I even pulled the rear left speaker and plugged it in on the rear right door and worked perfectly fine. Idk if it is a wiring issue or a fuse issue. I don’t think it’s a fuse issue because I checked and they looked fine. Plus it is a rebuilt Prius and both left side doors came from a different Prius which is probably why I’m having this issue. And the wiring is a different color so maybe this came from a jbl Prius and isn’t work on this car but idk. PLEASE HELP!

Attached Files:

2. Carall

Carall Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need the original wiring harness in your doors that came with the car. The one that came with the doors does not fit your Prius.
    If I remember correctly, there are at least two types of wiring harnesses for Prius 20. One with 2 wires for the tweeter and the other with 4 wires, and the speaker will not work unless the tweeter is connected.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes it's easier to take the wiring harness out of your original doors which you would have probably had to do because the body shop doesn't really care if that's how this happened and if not then maybe you have your doors and you can just pull the wiring harness out of the doors and plug them in to the car where they were in the first place somebody had to unplug them to change the doors It's unfortunate that they didn't look at the stereo and realize what they were doing or what have you now you will straighten that out or the radio doesn't mean that much and you don't care but obviously here we are so it must.

4. Netro

Netro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah, I’ll try to swap the wiring harness out and see if that does the job. Thanks for your guys’s input, I appreciate it.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm pretty sure that will straighten you out not knowing what stereo you have and what doors you put in does make a little bit of difference but if you look at your other passenger door and you get the wiring harnesses out of your driver and driver side passenger door and noticed it all the speaker wire colors and everything match up I would say you're probably barking up the right tree and good sound will be falling down on you when you get the wires connected to the correct business no matter the stereo brand make or model That's just the label you see on the front of the unit what's behind the unit is wiring that needs to match up to other wiring or else you wind up with sound not coming out of places where it used to pretty much like connecting an old home stereo you know the real stereo not the one you just plug one way plugs in.

6. shane jodan

shane jodan New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Three
    Based on the symptoms you've described, it's likely a wiring issue causing the left side speakers in your prius to not receive power. Since you've tested the left speakers by switching them to the right side and they worked fine, this rules out a problem with the speakers themselves. The fact that the left side doors came from a different Prius means there could be a mismatch in the wiring, especially if the wiring colors are different. This could be from the left doors coming from a JBL-equipped Prius, which might not be fully compatible with your current setup.

To resolve this, you'll likely need to trace and potentially rewire the left side speaker connections to match of wiring of your rebuilt Prius. This might involve consulting wiring diagrams or seeking assistance from a professional automotive electrician.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just go to the car that you wrecked or go to your old door if you can and pull the wiring harness for that door and put it on the new door that you replaced on your chassis If you can't do that you need to go to a car at at a junkyard that's the same as your original car with the same wiring in the door . Meaning it will have the same options and so on and so forth as the car you're driving right now take the wiring harness out of that door out of the rear door if you replace that one too The colors will be different some plugs will be different it'll match the passenger side that you move the speakers to the test put those harnesses they'll just plug in in your door It's kind of a pain in the butt but this is what should have been done when you got the new doors before you threw the old ones out You won't do this again.