1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker Kits?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Akima, May 9, 2013.

1. Akima

Akima Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering upgrading the speakers in my 2012 Prius non JBL HU with some Sony 6x9's and 6 1/2's I already have. After reading through several threads (thank you everyone) I see the stock speakers are riveted in and have some sort of built in spacer. Has anyone had any success with any speaker install kits. If so which ones and where did you get them? I see several people have made their own spacers, I didn't want to go that route.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I took out my front speaker mounts and made my own. yes they are riveted and leave 1/4 holes , to which I used screews and nuts to mount my own mount. On the rears I gutted the speaker and mounted the new speaker in the old mount.

3. Akima

Akima Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you remove the rear speakers before gutting them out? And is it possible to gut out the front speakers too?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Many of us just used MDF cut to fit.

5. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes and Yes, most quickie audio shops will gut the old speaker and install the new one, just need to connected the speaker wires correctly.