1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pennyprius, Oct 13, 2005.

1. pennyprius

pennyprius New Member

:) Last week I went to Cricuit City and purchased MTX speakers after listening to several brands including the Infinity's people have been fond of here. The MTX's had a nice full sound. I bought 4 of them and had them installed. They sound much better than the stock JBL's. I am still thinking I might down the road need an amp, but for the time being it is a vast improvement. The lady inside the Nav system sounds better as well.

The instalation went well. One guy knew more than the other guy so one side was done quicker than the other. But the wait was worth it.

2. Jay105000

Jay105000 New Member

How much was the total cost (labor/Speakers)? I am thinking in changing mine when I get the VIAS unit for my IPOD

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Once you get a powered sub, I don't think you'll need an extra amp.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Where do you live? It would be better to go to the same store, if possible, since they have experience with the Prius.

5. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

DanMan32,et. al.

I have an '05 w/300 miles, Non-Nav, Non-Bluetooth, Pkg. 5 w/"Upgraded JBL Sound w/6 Disc In Dash Head Unit" oxymoron.
    I HATE THE BEEP & the system audio quality is Aweful!!! That being said,

I'm considering unplugging the "JBL Premium Amp" under the passenger seat and running a separate 75 x 4 JBL amp with new JBL separates (component) up front (650c) and JBL 652s (shallow mounts - just 'cause I have them) for the rear and a Kenwood powered sub (little 6-1/2 jobbie I've read about here) above the spare tire, QUESTION: Other than losing that Darling BEEP and perhaps some steering wheel functionality (although I've read here that can be saved) am I at risk of losing any other MFD functionality? If so what? If Not, THERE IS A GOD!!!

Please advise asap.

Thanks, Ken

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What do you plan to use for a volume control, since you'll be losing that by bypassing the JBL amp?

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bump for an answer...

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If your replacement JBL amp also has AVC controlled preamp functions, then it will be fine. If not, you'll need to change to a standard HU as well, since the HU for the JBL system puts out FIXED line level output, and both it and the MFD send commands to the JBL amp to control volume, EQ, balance, fade, and the so-called dreaded beeps.

If you like listening to music at fixed sound levels, or you are installing a balanced signal volume control or preamp, then you can replace the JBL. Otherwise, you can't.

9. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

Thanks DanMan32!

Perhaps a viable solution to 'defeat the beep' and upgrade the audio system at the same time would be to 'simply' install a 2nd (ParallelHU (w/preamp outs) and stand alone 4 channel amp (JBL P80.4 4 channel Amp Power Series), then tap off the back speaks with a Kenwood (or other suitable powered sub). I have a separate HU and 2 sets of JBLs (1 pair 650c components and 1 set 652 shallow mounts for rear).

Any thoughts, I'm All Ears!

ken

10. pennyprius

pennyprius New Member

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just do what most people have done and run the output of the JBL amp into a line-out converter, or amp with high-level inputs. Then you won't lose any functionality.

I've driving four Infinity component speakers and a JL Audio subwoofer with two MTX amps (one four channel and one bridged two channel) and the audio is now good enough that I'm done upgrading. I can hear that dip around 300hz but it doesn't bother me enough (yet) to do anything about it.

I also strongly disagree with DanMan32's posting that you won't need a separate amp with a subwoofer. Maybe if you're used to listening to crap you'll feel that way. I got a huge improvement when I hooked up my four channel amp and stopped driving my Infinity component speakers full-range.

12. slortz

slortz New Member

Yeah, I'm doing the line-out converter thing too. No problem with beeps or loss of steering wheel controls.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If it was interpreted that you don't need an amp for a sub, then I apologize. The subs most commonly mentioned on this forum are self contained amplified subs. What I meant was that you don't need a system amp for the main speakers.
    A powered sub won't amplify the beeps because the beep frequency is well above the sub's cutoff.

Any added fullrange amp that has a net amplification greater than 1:1 will increase the beep volume. Quite frankly, having an amp that isn't really amplifying isn't of much use.
    "Oh, well I am just using the added amp for power handling"
    That would be nice, but if you think the JBL can't handle the power output (distorted, clipping) then the added amp will have to be greater than 1:1 in order to output more power than the JBL is, and still have clean output from the JBL.

14. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

The biggest concern I have with raising the amplification is the loudness curve processing that the JBL system does. It basically adds more bass (and some more treble) the lower the volume dial number. By adding extra amplification over what the factory system provides, you are effectively adding more bass and treble at lower volume levels, which is probably not a good thing. That's why I tried to keep my overall amplification levels similar to what the factory system had, even with an amplifier that put out several times as much power.

Edit: Just to clarify, I should say the loudness processing adds more midbass (above 70Hz or so), not more sub-bass. More sub-bass would be good, more midbass is bad.

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of the big benefits of using a separate amp is opening up use of the volume levels from 45 to 60 and higher. While the JBL amp would start audibly distorting at volume levels as low as 45 when driving an actual speaker load, it's asked to deliver just a tiny fraction as much current when driving the high impedence load of a line-out converter. Less current means you're staying far away from the limits of the power supply and non-linear operating regions of the output transistors. This means you can use those higher volume settings that would normally be unusable were you not using a separate amp.

16. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

Exactly! The next addition to my Prius non-JBL stereo system is an Infinity BassLink powered subwoofer which can power 4 additional door speakers with an adapter.

[​IMG]

Even though replacing the stock speakers with high-end speakers is an improvement in sound quality, a powered subwoofer is needed to add musical presence.