1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hngu7721, Feb 14, 2006.

1. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

I just had my base/stock speakers replaced and an amp added;

Fronts: CDT Audio CL61 components
    Rears: CDT Audio CL6-EX coaxials
    Amp: Hifonics TX8805 (110x4@4ohms),(bridgeable to 2x440@4ohms)

After the switch, i have noticed a dramatically drop in lower frequency bass that the stocks were capapble of making. The mids and highs however are just phenomenal.

For those who have replaced their speakers and added am amp, did you also lose some bass? I will more likely than not have a custom fiberglass made for the little cubby in the back made. Power to the Diamond Audio subs will be the (2) rear amp channels bridged. Rear coaxials will run off of HU power for rear fill.

Maybe we can get a group buy on custom fiberglass boxes? Any interest?

2. jrnteacher

jrnteacher Junior Member

Check your amp(s). You may be operating your door speakers with a high-pass filter on - that will filter out all the low frequencies - definately eliminate any bass response. :blink:

3. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I replaced speakers and added an amp and I found I got more bass. Even with no EQ. I used the signal that was going to the rear speakers to drive all the speakers because it was full range.

One possibility is that you might be using the front tweeter signal to drive your system, which would definitely result in poor bass (and midrange :)

4. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

thanks for the responses.

Its been a few days since the install now, and i can now say the bass response has improved for the higher frequencies. Its just the real low frequency content that the speakers show their weakness. A sub will definitely handle that department.

For those considering the Infintiy Kappas like I did, if possible try to listen to the CDT Classics if you can. I found the Kappas to be extremely cold and metallic, whereas the CDTs have a more realistic tone quality about them. Just an opinion.