1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker Upgrade Advice 2013 non JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dafisk, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Dafisk

Dafisk New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just got a Persona w/ the non-JBL system and looking to upgrade the sound but want to keep the head unit. A couple questions:

1) Should the speakers be 2 or 4 ohm (I've seen both listed in other posts)
    2) Are the front doors 6x9? (Crutchfield says they are 6.5" but seen 6x9 in other forums)
    3) How much improvement is there by replacing in-dash squawkers? I'd rather not remove the dash unless there is a lot to gain soundwise.

4) Is an amp needed or can I get by with the power from the HU?

I'd also like to see what speakers other would recommend and had success with.

Lastly, I was also thinking of adding a powered sub woofer that could easily be removed. Has anyone done this and provide how to tap into power and audio wires for a trunk / cargo placement?

Many thanks - this board is great!

2. BillyBuerger

BillyBuerger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'll answer ones of your questions. Yes, 6x9's would fit in the front door. But you would still need an adapter as the mounting holes aren't standard 6x9 and the hole is a little bigger. I'm not sure if anyone makes 6x9 adapters so you would have to make your own. In generally, there are more and better 6.5/6.75 speakers out there then 6x9 anyways so 6.5 are a good idea.

The problem I see is that since the wiring goes HU->squawker->front door, you'd either have to run new wires from the HU->front door or have both the squawker and front speakers playing the higher frequencies. Or put a low-pass filter on the front speakers.