1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker upgrade - Infinity

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right, I've just installed six infinity speakers in the c along with a minor dose of soundproofing.

These were four 6.5" two way speakers in the lower doors plus two tweeters in the upper front doors. I used the infinity-supplied low cut crossovers.

Notes to pass on-

It was surprisingly easy to cut the factory tweeters off of the brackets. I used ordinary epoxy to attach the new tweeters to the old bracket strips.

I put two kinds of damping material in. Some of it was ordinary dynamat, just to add mass around the speaker mount area and a few leftover triangles on the outer door skin to add mass and break up resonance. I also put in a few pieces of a softer mat, so there are a couple of different densities behind the speakers.

The goal was just to improve the sound- not to perfect it. It's an economy car, we don't want to spend too much on the project or add a lot of weight.

So far so good, we can get more volume without distortion than before. The factory speakers were comical. Pretty sure I have headphones with bigger magnets.

These are all being driven by the Sony head unit I installed back in May.

I think I added about 7lbs to the car between the upgraded speakers and the butyl mats.

#1 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Infinity used to make respectable audiophile-grade home speakers (Reference Standard series) that weighed about the same as a C. I don't know if they still do. How is the sound quality? Pics would be nice, for drooling puroposes!

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Those are heavy speakers. :D What's the C weigh? About 2200 lbs? :D :ROFLMAO:

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what infinity makes for the living room today. I am reasonably up-to-date on industrial & studio audio but hopelessly out-of-date with audiophile, consumer and mobile audio.

That said, the new speakers do sound considerably better than the factory ones, and they weren't expensive. There's a nice airy feeling for the stereo effect; the bonus tweeters up in the door tops are working extremely well. Not much improvement in bass level though the lows are far clearer and tighter than before. I would need at least an underseat sub to really balance the low end, but we decided to do this one with a firmer budget both dollarwise and for interior storage.

I'll have to look to see if I shot any share-worthy pictures. Of course, part of the point was an undetectable installation, so it's not as if the car looks any different now.

Added: one shot of the door disassembled with soundproofing & new speaker installed. Tweeter and bracket were off the car for work at that time.

door.jpg

#4 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  5. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ...and the tube amp that drove the electrostatic tweeters and the woofers was another couple of hundred pounds I think. They used to cost about one and half Cs. So yeah, heavy stuff for people with deep pockets and sensitive ears.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @frenzee looks like they're a Harman property now, so... none of that wonderfulness anymore.

I listen on nice stuff at work and I'm usually okay to leave it there.

7. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds good Leadfoot. Yeah, most people these days are not into high fidelity sound any more, so I think a lot of those Hi-Fi equipment makers either went out of business or sold out. In fact as I'm typing this, I noticed the word Hi-Fi is not even in my browser's dictionary - it thinks it's a typo, LOL.