1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker wires shorting out: over 400$ just to diagnose?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusma, Dec 22, 2014.

1. priusma

priusma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My speaker wires started shorting out, crackling, even slight smell of burnt wire. I brought the car in today and they said they have to pull the dash out to get a dx, to the tune of starting around $400. I asked if they could just cut the speaker wires as the car has a gazillion miles on it and I don't want to toss money into the speakers if I don't have to.

Anyone dealt with anything like this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my only suggestion would be another dealer, a local mechanic or a stereo shoppe. it might be easier to pull the h/u and cut the speakers there.

3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It all depends on where the short is and where the speakers are. if you remove the speakers you may not solve the short. If you find the short, just repair. Keep radio Off and pull fuse until/ before repair.They say pulling the dash is not such a big deal. It sounds like the dealer never actually found the short, so he's guessing. A good way to start is to study under the dash, good. From the floor.

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    a common problem with many cars is the wires break at the door hinge. I would try to determine which speakers are crackling. if its just 1, good chance its by the hinges where the wires go into the door. if its all the speakers then likely it is in the dash. the prius dash is fairly easy to r&r; I would take it apart myself with a mechanically inclined friend helping and inspect the wiring.

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Speaker wires usually don't carry enough current to cause burning smells even if they are dead-shorted.

No doubt there is some kind of electrical problem but it might NOT be in the wires to the speakers.
    Could even be inside the head unit itself.

Yakoma likes this.
  6. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. priusma

priusma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got my car back last night. NO CHARGE! As in I didn't pay a cent. Toyota guy said when the mechanic began tearing it apart the sound was crackling, then it quit. It seems, if I am reading the message under the words, that they were too overwhelmed with holiday repairs to go into this further at this time. He invited me to bring it back on Friday, but said it won't blow up, catch on fire, is safe to drive. So, back to square one.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no more crackling? maybe an early Christmas present?

9. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if your Prius does not have JBL, it's a pretty simple system. Vey easy to pull the head unit, suggest going to an independent car stereo shop vs dealer. In fact, you could pull the head unit and replace with aftermarket radio and get bluetooth, smartphone compatibility, USB port etc for a lot less than $400.

10. priusma

priusma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mech said they tested the ground wire (s) and didn't find anything wrong there either.
    I betcha the crackling will show up again.

Good tip 3 PP!

I think I do have JBL, but wouldn't mind a new system anyway bc the cd drive has been stuck for about a year-
    leaving me with my CASSETTES! No one can believe my 2005 Prius has a cassette player. A match made in
    heaven for sure.

After the holiday, if the crackling continues, I'll suss out a stereo shop around here.

Thanks folks!

11. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's a little more complicated with JBL since the amp is separate but a decent stereo shop will know how to make it work.